The U is in serious trouble, or Phins vs. The World

A forum for non-baseball sports
pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Re: The U is in serious trouble, or Phins vs. The World

Post by pioneer98 »

BW23 wrote:Did Shapiro start the Social Security program? I'm just trying to catch up here.
No, he helped end the idea of the "amateur athlete" in the NCAA.

Radio_Bugtussle
Perennial All-Star

Post by Radio_Bugtussle »

BW23 wrote:Did Shapiro start the Social Security program? I'm just trying to catch up here.
Some east coast elitist beat him to it by 80 years... :D

JunkBondTrader
Veteran Player

Post by JunkBondTrader »

Just curious Phins, are you (and other UM fans) happy with Jacory starting?

phins
Sobbing quietly during Fox programming

Post by phins »

JunkBondTrader wrote:Just curious Phins, are you (and other UM fans) happy with Jacory starting?
Define "happy."

I think he's the best we've got, and I think the coaching staff doesn't envision Morris as the QB of the future. We have a transfer from Memphis, who is from the Miami area, and was a pretty good player as a true freshman there. Supposedly the coaching staff really likes him, and there are two QB recruits, including a kid named Preston Dewey, whom they gush over.

To answer your question, I think he's probably the best we have right this second. Miami is a long ways away from being really good again. The lack of depth and talent that Shannon left the team with is shocking.

phins

Post by phins »

Self-imposed bowl ban handed down.

Expecting a few scholarships taken as well. Hopefully that will be the worst of it.

If USC had self-imposed they'd be playing in a BCS bowl this year.

phins

Post by phins »

Well, it's been a really damned long time, and I've been waiting for quite some time to drag this thread out again, because it would mean we've finally come to an end of this debacle. I've maintained since the beginning Miami really didn't do much of anything here, and even the worst of the violations- a rogue booster- there's only so much to be done about that.

Charles Robinson and his entire article were, in the end, punked as expected. Robinson alleged 72 players and millions in impermissable benefits. Of course, the reality was 30 players and $174,000 (of that $90,000 went to two players in Vince Wilfork and Antrel Rolle). Only off by 40 players and more than a million dollars. No biggie. Additionally, Miami advised the NCAA of possible violations in November, 2010. Almost a full year before this garbage came out. In the end, what we are talking about is a convicted liar allowed college students to drink for free, party on his yacht, a few free meals, and access to VIP rooms at strip clubs.

Here is what Miami served in this:

Gave up two bowl bids and an ACC championship game. In other words, three full big time games.

Dozens of players suspended on the football and basketball teams.

Self-imposed scholarship reductions, visit reductions (36%) and visit restrictions (20%).

Two and a half years of having the program's name ran through the mud and every rival using this to negative recruit against Miami.

Now, to the "sanctions" handed down today. In reality, what the NCAA did today was nothing, and I'll tell you why.

The scholarship reductions given out were a total of 9 scholarships over a period of three years. The key here is that the reductions was to the total amount of scholarships, rather than the max per year scholarships. The gold standard for NCAA sanctions is the USC case. In which, USC lied, withheld and misled the NCAA during their investigation and were hammered for it. The NCAA hit them with scholarship reductions of 10 per year. FBS restrictions are 85 at any given time, with a per year amount of 25. You can circumvent the 25 max cap by signing players and having them enroll in January. This counts their scholarship for the previous year's cap, but at no point can you exceed the 85 player max. The NCAA gave USC their 10 scholarship reduction in their max rather than the total. Meaning, they could only bring in 15 new players per season, rather than being merely restricted to 75.

What this has done to USC is restrict their ability to keep a full roster. Each time a player leaves the team, is hurt and retires, doesn't qualify etc. they can't be replaced. This has resulted in 55 scholarship players currently being on their team. If they were restricted to 75 players at one time, they could replenish their numbers much more quickly. With injuries, USC has 45 healthy scholarship players. Virtually impossible for them to compete.

Miami scholarship reductions not only are not per season max (meaning it would be 22 per year) they aren't even on the total of 85. Miami can use the 9 scholarship reductions in any capacity they want. Meaning all at once, or 5 one year and 4 the next etc.

With Miami currently being at 74 scholarships, they technically could take the penalty all at once and have it over with, but that's not what they'll do. What they'll do is sign a full allotment of players each year and go to the 85 limit and bring them to spring camp. Each and every year players leave the team after camp realizing they won't get playing time etc. This past year they had something like 7 players leave the team for discipline or playing time. This is quite normal, and many teams don't actually come to the season at 85 scholarship players.

Miami will simply "encourage" three players per year to leave the team after having them come to camp and evaluate after spring camp. For this reason, the NCAA virtually did nothing today and will not impact Miami at all.

JunkBondTrader
Veteran Player

Post by JunkBondTrader »

phins wrote: Charles Robinson and his entire article were, in the end, punked as expected. Robinson alleged 72 players and millions in impermissable benefits. Of course, the reality was 30 players and $174,000 (of that $90,000 went to two players in Vince Wilfork and Antrel Rolle). Only off by 40 players and more than a million dollars. No biggie.
With acknowledgement to the obviously large disparity between the alleged and the actual, I have to say that is still a [expletive] ton of actual money and players.

phins

Post by phins »

That isn't money to players. That's total receipts he spent at restaurants, clubs, strip clubs over a period of years. In reality, it's nothing. A few hundred dollars, which in South Beach is a Tuesday.

As I said from the beginning, the basketball team did the real cheating, Miami football didn't cheat. They gained zero competitive edge from this.

JunkBondTrader
Veteran Player

Post by JunkBondTrader »

phins wrote:That isn't money to players. That's total receipts he spent at restaurants, clubs, strip clubs over a period of years. In reality, it's nothing. A few hundred dollars, which in South Beach is a Tuesday.

As I said from the beginning, the basketball team did the real cheating, Miami football didn't cheat. They gained zero competitive edge from this.

Fair enough. You can tell I haven't followed this at all heh.

I won't lie, I was hoping Miami would lose 85 scholarships per year for all of eternity. So I'm disappointed after all this time.

phins

Post by phins »

JunkBondTrader wrote:
phins wrote:That isn't money to players. That's total receipts he spent at restaurants, clubs, strip clubs over a period of years. In reality, it's nothing. A few hundred dollars, which in South Beach is a Tuesday.

Fair enough. You can tell I haven't followed this at all heh.

I won't lie, I was hoping Miami would lose 85 scholarships per year for all of eternity. So I'm disappointed after all this time.
I get that. I can't say I'd be rooting for Florida State to come out unscathed in the end (except for time served and self-imposed punishments).

The real enemy is Florida...remember that.