Derrick Rose

A forum for non-baseball sports
Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer

Re: Derrick Rose

Post by Magneto2.0 »

Sad. Bulls weren't getting passed the Heat either way, but unfortunate.

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Post by jim »

Hungary Jack wrote:That screaming sound you heard from up north was Bulls fans after Rose blew his ACL vs. the Sixers in game 1.

Have to wonder what this does to a guy whose game relies on speed and explosiveness.
Very possibly career changing. I thought I saw the knee do that sort of shimmy thing it does when the ACL pops as he planted, so I'm going from my own eyes. Do we have any other info yet?

Hungary Jack
Mother Earth

Post by Hungary Jack »

jim wrote:
Hungary Jack wrote:That screaming sound you heard from up north was Bulls fans after Rose blew his ACL vs. the Sixers in game 1.

Have to wonder what this does to a guy whose game relies on speed and explosiveness.
Very possibly career changing. I thought I saw the knee do that sort of shimmy thing it does when the ACL pops as he planted, so I'm going from my own eyes. Do we have any other info yet?
No info yet. Won't know anything more of consequence until an MRI and maybe even the surgery. I'd almost worry more about his meniscus and the other soft tissue. ACL's are relatively easy to repair nowadays. Shredded cartilage isn't.

Given that he did it on a jump shot, chances are better that the other stuff is intact. His knee didn't bend in some ungodly direction, which is good. He just loaded it up with a bunch of stop/jump force, and the ACL blew. Not uncommon.

jim

Post by jim »

For cutting planting athletes Acl way worse. They haven't perfected. Medical propoganda. Going to be a tough road back.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

rough break

pun

jim

Post by jim »

Jocephus wrote:rough break

pun
No break. Rough tear maybe.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

jim wrote:For cutting planting athletes Acl way worse. They haven't perfected. Medical propoganda. Going to be a tough road back.
Rose is a lot like an NFL running back with the way he plays. Not the Jim Otis kind of running back.

Hope this is just a temporary setback to a fantastic career.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

It took Chris Paul almost a full season to get back into rhythm and Derrick relies on explosiveness much more than CP. Obviously, we'll see how it goes, but it's bad times for one of the most enjoyable to watch, easy to root for athletes in sports.

jim

Post by jim »

Even doctors will admit that the 6 month time frame is just when you can safely return to competition, most will tell you that it's really the second year before it starts really feeling good again. For an NFL drop back QB, no problem - you could probably be at your game or very close to it the first year back. Even for a cutting player like a WR, somewhat do-able because it's just not the same amount of effort. A team throws 40 times a game, if you are out there for 3/4 of those 30 max efforts over a 3 hour period? Basketball waaaay different, especially if you are a player like Rose. I hate to be a downer but I'll be very very surprised if Rose looks like Rose next year for more than spurts regardless the over-optimistic things the doctors will say and the team reiterate over the next few weeks. Realistic best case is Rose looks more or less like Rose in 2013/14.

This sucks.

Hungary Jack
Mother Earth

Post by Hungary Jack »

Rose had better start working on his jumper.