The Worst Moments of St. Louis Sports in 2011

A forum for non-baseball sports
Secret Weapon
Perennial All-Star

Post by Secret Weapon »

10. Allen Craig Grounds Into A Double Play Against The Phillies In Game Three of The NLDS
9. Pinkel Ices His Kicker…Twice
8. Tony La Russa Retires
7. Bullpen Phonegate
6. Gary Pinkel’s DUI
5. The Rams Piss Away An Opportunity To Win The NFC West
4. Wainwright Done For The Year
3. A Collapse For The Ages (Cards give up 6 runs in 9th to the Mets near end of the season)
2. Albert Pujols Leaves For Los Angeles
1. Josh Hamilton’s Game Six Home Run

More honorable mentions here:
http://www.insidestl.com/insideSTLcom/M ... -2011.aspx

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Re: The Worst Moments of St. Louis Sports in 2011

Post by Freed Roger »

Strange list. Not sure what qualifies as "a moment" and it includes things not occurring during games.

Regardless -The Pujols deal has to be up there somehow - a crappy way to end an era. Hamilton's home run - a gut punch at the time, but made the victory all the sweeter. If Cardinal's don't win game 6, I wouldn't be looking at Hamilton's home run in despair, but would be backtracking to the shenanigans and lost opportunities of game 5 or game 2 WS.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

After Pujols leaving (which for the $, I am ok with personally, but the poorly managed way it went down from his side was regrettable) - The Rams have to be the Worst altogether. They had a potentially drive-the-franchise-out-of-town type season.

But to pick "a moment" that encapsulates this season - Rams -Giants game Sept 19. Team can be respectable with a win there. Pillars! -I would say. After more missed red zone opportunities -Rams offense is heading towards taking the lead when Carnell Williams doesn't cover a fumbled lateral pass and Giants scoop it up and race in for a TD. Game and season over. Carnell Williams gets a comforting hug from Spagnuolo on the sideline.

JL21
NPR & THT Contributor

Post by JL21 »

I would think that any list about St. Louis sports that has the word "worst" in the title would feature a lot more from the 2-13 team and a lot less from the World Champion team.

Secret Weapon
Perennial All-Star

Post by Secret Weapon »

i believe by worst moment it means how you felt at that particular moment in time. its hard to work up any sort of emotion besides ambivalence about this rams team. the josh hamilton home run was gut wrenching because the cardinals had just made an epic come back to tie in the game in the bottom of the 9th, and that home run just ruined all of the amazinginess of that rally.

of course it lead to more great moments later in the game, but at that very moment, it was a killer.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

JL21 wrote:I would think that any list about St. Louis sports that has the word "worst" in the title would feature a lot more from the 2-13 team and a lot less from the World Champion team.
Undoubtedly. What a stupid [expletive] list. The bad taste of the worst moment lasted all of about 10 minutes and then a mere 20 minutes later was replaced with possibly the best moment St. Louis sports has seen in, well, maybe ever.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

I feel like we should redo this list to avoid McKernan taking a huge shot to his already [expletive] rep.

10. Pinkel DUI
9. Icing the kicker
8. Haith implicated in Miami schenanigans
7. Losing Wano for the year
6. Ryan Franklin/Miguel Batista/Miller
5. LaRussa retires
4. Bradford hurt
3. Rams lose to Seattle
2. Anderson leaves Mizzou
1. Pujols leaves for the State of California that has Anaheim in it which so happens to be in the LA area.

Feel free to criticize. But Anderson/Pujols leaving is by far the worst things that happened for St. Louis sports (ignoring $$ implications of course). I know Haith has Mizzou playing well. But he took over a juggernaut of a team Anderson put together (Illionois fans know all about this with Weber taking over for Self and having immediate success then flailing in mediocrity since).

Numbers
Perennial All-Star

Post by Numbers »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:I feel like we should redo this list to avoid McKernan taking a huge shot to his already [expletive] rep.

10. Pinkel DUI
9. Icing the kicker
8. Haith implicated in Miami schenanigans
7. Losing Wano for the year
6. Ryan Franklin/Miguel Batista/Miller
5. LaRussa retires
4. Bradford hurt
3. Rams lose to Seattle
2. Anderson leaves Mizzou
1. Pujols leaves for the State of California that has Anaheim in it which so happens to be in the LA area.

Feel free to criticize. But Anderson/Pujols leaving is by far the worst things that happened for St. Louis sports (ignoring $$ implications of course). I know Haith has Mizzou playing well. But he took over a juggernaut of a team Anderson put together (Illionois fans know all about this with Weber taking over for Self and having immediate success then flailing in mediocrity since).
Except for Anderson screwed us over by essentially doing zero recruiting on his way out the door. Haith and staff are picking up a pretty respectable recruiting class from out of the ashes

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

I'm surprised Albert's injury didn't make the list. When it happened, at that moment, I thought we were dead in the water.

cards2468
Hall Of Famer

Post by cards2468 »

JL21 wrote:I would think that any list about St. Louis sports that has the word "worst" in the title would feature a lot more from the 2-13 team and a lot less from the World Champion team.
(nobody gives a [expletive] about the Rams)