SuperBowl 2012

A forum for non-baseball sports
vinsanity
Chili dog truther

Re: SuperBowl 2012

Post by vinsanity »

jim wrote:I'll bet alot of people only go to the SuperBowl once in their life. The team they root for gets in, they decide you only live once, and then decide to go. No offense ghost, but what a kick in the sac that everything came together when the SuperBowl was in Indianapolis. I have nothing against the city, but that would not be high on my list of places to visit in February.
It barely counts as football weather right now. It's 50 degrees out.

If you're coming from Boston or NY it's probably warmer and nicer. I guess the question is, is a Super Bowl about the weather or the experience. I was in Atlanta during the ice storm for the Rams/Titans super bowl. I tell you the weather did nothing to spoil the experience. I guess it'd be nice to take a weekend vacation to some place like Miami or Dallas (who nearly shut down with 1" of snow last year) or San Diego for the Super Bowl but it really sounds like Indy's been pulling off the activities and traffic and lodging as well as anyone else.

As for the game? Ugh. I'll probably cry when the Patriots get to celebrate here.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

vinsanity wrote:
jim wrote:I'll bet alot of people only go to the SuperBowl once in their life. The team they root for gets in, they decide you only live once, and then decide to go. No offense ghost, but what a kick in the sac that everything came together when the SuperBowl was in Indianapolis. I have nothing against the city, but that would not be high on my list of places to visit in February.
It barely counts as football weather right now. It's 50 degrees out.

If you're coming from Boston or NY it's probably warmer and nicer. I guess the question is, is a Super Bowl about the weather or the experience. I was in Atlanta during the ice storm for the Rams/Titans super bowl. I tell you the weather did nothing to spoil the experience. I guess it'd be nice to take a weekend vacation to some place like Miami or Dallas (who nearly shut down with 1" of snow last year) or San Diego for the Super Bowl but it really sounds like Indy's been pulling off the activities and traffic and lodging as well as anyone else.

As for the game? Ugh. I'll probably cry when the Patriots get to celebrate here.

I agree. I was at the Big Ten Championship game in Indianapolis this year. Most of the activities were indoors (the Convention Center is a terrific venue, in my opinion), and the outdoor activities were very tolerable. I think you get so caught up in the "buzz" that you don't even notice what the weather is doing.

FWIW - my wife's step-mother lives in Indy, and we get there fairly often. Their AAA stadium is beautiful, so I always try to go when the Indians are at home. I like Indianapolis quite a bit, actually. I regret not taking a week of vacation and spending it in Indianapolis this week.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

I wouldn't expect anyone to visit here without a special event going on. As has been said, Indy's had a lot of practice hosting this kind of thing - the Final Fours, the 500, other one-off events. I actually heard the 500 is bigger, which sounded weird at first, but I guess it's true. They decided way back in the 80's to cater to sporting events starting with the PanAm games, and it's been a priority ever since. That's when downtown was also made a priority. All the Superbowl stuff - the stadium, the hotels, the food, and the Superbowl Village itself are all within walking distance of each other. I think even if the weather was a lot colder, it would still have been a success. It's just a good situation along with some good luck. A heavy snow would have caused some issues, but so far so good. Everyone here is kind of proud, and I have to cop to it myself.

vinsanity
Chili dog truther

Post by vinsanity »

ghostrunner wrote:Everyone here is kind of proud, and I have to cop to it myself.
We should have a beer to celebrate.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

The last place I would want to be right now is at the Super Bowl or any of the festivities. You couldn't pay me enough to go there.

Maclowery
Child Pot Activist

Post by Maclowery »

I'm a temporary Giants fan since my bar will be full of their fans. I honestly hope we're only steady not jammed, so I can watch more of the game while I'm there. And by game I mean the commercials.

Bo Hart
Perennial All-Star

Post by Bo Hart »

Tambourine Man wrote:NE used to really bug the [expletive] out of me, but a few years ago I just accepted that they're an incredible organization that's figured out a way for unrivaled success in the salary cap era. It's actually pretty remarkable, and I've got an admiration for them now.
YA WELL ITS EASY 2 HALF A DYNASTY WHEN U CHEAT AND VIDEOTAPE THE OTHERS TEAMS!!!!!!!!1111

Tambourine Man
accepts no jimitators

Post by Tambourine Man »

Kyle wrote:
Tambourine Man wrote:NE used to really bug the [expletive] out of me, but a few years ago I just accepted that they're an incredible organization that's figured out a way for unrivaled success in the salary cap era. It's actually pretty remarkable, and I've got an admiration for them now.
YA WELL ITS EASY 2 HALF A DYNASTY WHEN U CHEAT AND VIDEOTAPE THE OTHERS TEAMS!!!!!!!!1111
RYAN BRAUN IS STEALING PLAYBOOKS FROM GIANT PLAYERS AT THE ED HARDY BOOTH IN INDY AND TRADING THEM TO BRADY FOR UGG BOOTS!!!

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

vinsanity wrote:
ghostrunner wrote:Everyone here is kind of proud, and I have to cop to it myself.
We should have a beer to celebrate.
One of these days we'll get that done. What kind of place do you like?

I kind of want to hit Ball and Biscuit, but I'm not sure I even feel hip enough for the Indianapolis version of a swanky bar and lounge. Nor am I sure I can afford it.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

Tooting the city's horn some more. ( I probably won't get this chance again)

http://wnst.net/wordpress/blog/2012/02/ ... site-ever/

and
ESPN's Steve Levy.."I will go on record, they should play the Super Bowl here every year."
Sounds like downtown is getting pushed to the limit tonight though. Lots of tweets about asses and elbows, no cars being allowed downtown now, apparently.