Junior Seau

A forum for non-baseball sports
jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Re: Junior Seau

Post by jim »

I disagree that football was "a hell of a lot of fun to play". Football sucks. I hated it, and to this day do not understand why I kept playing outside of peer pressure and not wanting to disappoint my HS coach who I did have respect for. When double sessions would approach I would get depressed and sick to my stomach for days before.

The reason I didn't like the game was because it hurt. I didn't like doing things that hurt. When you hit someone it often hurt you more than them. And before you start wondering what kind of wimp I was - I played both ways and virtually every down both Jr and Sr year and was an all-conference Def. End my Senior Year. I was the city player of the week one week and had the TV crew come to my school after I had over 100 yards receiving and 3 TD's one game.

It all sucked. Even during that 3 TD game I looked over at my buddies that didn't play in the stands and just thought how much more fun I would be having if I was there.

My oldest son who was a better player than me tore his ACL his Senior year half way through. That pretty much did it for me. I had gotten interested in at least watching because he was so good but once that injury happened I was done. I can't stand the sport.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

I can relate to all that. You worked your ass off and playing hurt was expected. If you are lucky its only jammed fingers and scabs that wont heal on knees and elbows, instead of broken bones and concussions. Worst for me was having a terrible earache and then getting my helmet rattled repeatedly in practice. Once got racked in the worst way. Had a stinger as well.

But when a play works, or come from behind victory, or you cleaned someone's clock, it was great. As an insecure shrimp, I liked the chance to take people down. A way to vet the napoleon syndrome. If healthy, I even liked practice- doing blocking and tackling drills.

I liked sandlot football too, but the organized version was a treat. but so few games for all the BS, injuries and risk. Contrast to baseball, I had so much more fun playing sandlot and bastardized versions of it, that organized baseball was often a boring letdown.

jim

Post by jim »

Running out on the field between the line of cheerleaders and dance squad members with the crowd cheering and that wonderful mix of aroma of all that perfume and [expletive] was only fun part.

One of the worst feelings I ever had was one of the biggest hits I ever made. A real snot bubbler, completely wiped the guy out. Or so I'm told ... I knocked myself out. Looked great of film, but I couldn't move my neck for a week.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

Beginning of the decline of football?

This is how you lose her
According to data provided to "Outside the Lines," Pop Warner lost 23,612 players, thought to be the largest two-year decline since the organization began keeping statistics decades ago. Consistent annual growth led to a record 248,899 players participating in Pop Warner in 2010; that figure fell to 225,287 by the 2012 season.

Pop Warner officials said they believe several factors played a role in the decline, including the trend of youngsters focusing on one sport. But the organization's chief medical officer, Dr. Julian Bailes, cited concerns about head injuries as "the No. 1 cause."

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

how young is pop warner?

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

pioneer98 wrote:Beginning of the decline of football?

This is how you lose her
According to data provided to "Outside the Lines," Pop Warner lost 23,612 players, thought to be the largest two-year decline since the organization began keeping statistics decades ago. Consistent annual growth led to a record 248,899 players participating in Pop Warner in 2010; that figure fell to 225,287 by the 2012 season.

Pop Warner officials said they believe several factors played a role in the decline, including the trend of youngsters focusing on one sport. But the organization's chief medical officer, Dr. Julian Bailes, cited concerns about head injuries as "the No. 1 cause."
Thanks for that info. That is what I was thinking. So the remaining players will be even more [expletive] up

jim

Post by jim »

Jocephus wrote:how young is pop warner?
I see some really little kids, I think my son was in 4th grade? He begged us to play, I never encouraged/discouraged sports. Honestly had I have known then what I know now, I would have steered him away.

The youth stuff is crazy, when my son was in 6th grade his team went to the "Super Bowl" which was the weekend before Thanksgiving. They started the very last week of July. I think a 10 game schedule with playoffs, something like that including a "Homecoming" which was insanity. That's waaaaaay too much. Next year he had a chance to play for this "club" type team again which everyone told him was where the really talented and skilled kids would be playing, or play for his Middle School in 7th grade (that was the first year you could play for your school). I think they had 6 games, some 2/week, and were done in 4 weeks with a playoff. Practice started in late August, first day of school. Done by mid-October. That's the route he went, and I'm glad he did it. He had fun.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

Jocephus wrote:how young is pop warner?
Looks like age 5 to 14, but I bet the really young ones may play flag? I don't know.

We don't even have Pop Warner here. Some of the private schools have their own "leagues" and that is what everyone seems to play before junior high. Once you get to junior high and high school, there are school leagues. So Pop Warner doesn't necessarily cover the whole country. I wonder how the numbers are for other leagues.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

I played when I was in kindergarten. I have a late August bday so I think most of the other boys were in 1st grade.

jim

Post by jim »

How long did you play luke ... how much of an influence was having your Dad being an NFL player have on you?