Wisconsin's Wrestling Team

A forum for non-baseball sports
slide_into_first
is unaware that dangerous is the real Tyler Durden

Wisconsin's Wrestling Team

Post by slide_into_first »

This is important because Wisconsin never has a full line up of top wrestlers and won't win the BiG title or compete with Penn St, Iowa or Minnesota, and I can't discuss this at Wisconsin Wrestling Online because the forum is closed due to cheap and high quality bots, plus it is a lame forum where you get flamed by the self righteous if you say anything realistic.

Wisconsin has a three time returning All American, Tyler Graff, who wanted to move up to 141 pounds and that was going to make room for a highly touted freshman, Jesse Thielke to be the 133 pounder except Thielke was getting beaten in practice early in the season by a meh senior, Tom Kelliher so Thielke decided he needed to redshirt so he could adjust to college wrestling. Graff was doing ok but not dominating at 141 and Kelliher was so-so at 133 and this weekend Graff cut to 133 for the Midlands tournament and Kelliher went up to 141, also Thielke entered the tournament unattached at 133 pounds. Graff and Thielke were on different ends of the bracket and both have made the semifinals- Thielke upset the #1 seed to get there and he obviously has adjusted to the college game in three months.

So for the rest of this season, should the coach let Thielke have 133 and tell Graff to go back to 141, or tell Thielke to keep the redshirt and wait until next year, or try to get Thielke to cut to 125 pounds which I don't think is wise?

I know no one here gives a [expletive] but it is interesting dilemma to me.
Last edited by slide_into_first on December 29 14, 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Re: Wisconsin's wrestling team @133#

Post by jim »

What are the rules in college for cutting weight? Do they do all of those body fat tests and what not before the season like they do in HS now?

slide_into_first

I'm pretty sure they do use body fat measurements.

It turns out Thielke wants to redshirt this year and compete three years before taking off 2016 for the Olympics before finishing college in 2017. You can have a second redshirt for the Olympics. Graff will stay at 133. Someone at Intermat said so.

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

It's already pretty far into the season, it would be dumb to give up a year of eligibility to be able to wrestle half a season now.

TimeForGuinness
Hall Of Famer

Post by TimeForGuinness »

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

I'm from Iowa and I don't even follow college wrestling. I do know that Iowa has quite a machine in place, though. Kids from all over the country magically move to Bettendorf or Iowa City right as they are entering their high school years. Bettendorf high school is coached by Dan Knight, and Iowa City High is coached by Cory Connell. Both were standout wrestlers at U of Iowa in their day.

Some of these people that moved here have made the mistake of bragging about the incentives they got to relocate. Somehow, this knowledge has stayed out of the media. But if the rumors are true and these junior high wrestlers got what I heard, then I can only imagine what standout basketball and football players can demand.

College sports are a joke.

slide_into_first

In California the rule for years has been you have to sit out a year if you transfer unless your whole family moves with you, but there have been lawsuits over transfers from private to public high schools in the same town if someone got laid off, etc, so now the rule is if you transfer you can't compete for 30 days.

I was wrong about Tyler Graff, he is a two time all american and a junior. Thielke is said to be getting bigger, next year Graff will probably be 133 and Thielke 141.

slide_into_first

Btw Mizzou's wrestling team is in the Mid American Conference.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Mizzou #4.

slide_into_first

Re: Wisconsin's Wrestling Team

Since so many have asked for an update, here goes. For reference, Wisconsin's coach, Barry Davis seems to be able to keep his job if he has a .500 dual meet record and two all-americans every year. That's pretty much been his record for about 20 years.

They are 5-1 in dual meets so far, including 3-0 in the BigTen with an upset of Nebraska. They lost to Rider 20-19 after forfeiting 125 lbs which costs 6 points. The 125 and 133 pounders couldn't make weight at Rider so the 125 wrestled at 133, someone else wrestled at 141 and they didn't pull the redshirt of another 125 until the following meet. The former 125 is now at 133 permanently. He was ranked 6th at 125 but 133 is loaded so he is ranked 18th, although with time to adjust I think he will be All American by year's end. The 125 is a freshmen with talent, Johnny Jiminez. It is pronounced with a j sound not h sound.
The 133 moved up to 141, Jesse Thielke. He was a junior national Greco-Roman champion who was anointed by a lot of people at the Wisconsin wrestling forum as a sure four time ncaa champion, but he is nowhere near that, can't seem to make the transition to college style wrestling. He is ranked around 20th.
As a result of changing the weights, the dual meet lineup is stronger so that helped win some dual meets. The trade off is the guy who moved up from 125 has more competition at 133.
At 149 and 157 they have a few average wrestlers. The big thing is the 157 had to wrestle the #2 ranked guy for Nebraska and didn't get pinned, which helped preserve the upset.
At 165 is returning All American, Isaac Jordan, who is ranked around 4th and could win the NCAA tournament if he stays healthy. He is not wrestling at this week's Midlands tournament, no one knows why.
At 174 is another average guy.
At 184 is a redshirt freshman, Ricky Robertson, who has upset some higher ranked wrestlers and looks to be able to compete nationally. He is ranked 18th.
At 197 is a senior who is ranked 12-18 in different polls, who is wrestling better than ever and could be an All American by year's end.
At heavyweight is Connor Medbery, a junior ranked 5th. He is a small heavyweight, around 245 lbs. He is undefeated this year so far.

They don't have to wrestle Penn St, Ohio St, Iowa or Monnesota this season and should win most of their remaining dual meets. They should get at least two All Americans, Jordan at 165 and Medbery at heavyweight, with possibles at 133 (Ryan Taylor), 184 and 197.