Wisconsin's Wrestling Team

A forum for non-baseball sports
JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Re: Wisconsin's Wrestling Team

Post by JoeMcKim »

Ed Ruth who was a multiple time champ at 184 while wrestling at Penn State spent a week helping to train Jon Jones train for his upcoming UFC LHW title fight against Daniel Cormier. Ruth is going to be going after Olympic gold in 2016 but after that could make the transition into MMA himself.

slide_into_first
is unaware that dangerous is the real Tyler Durden

Post by slide_into_first »

The top three heavyweights in the country are Bobbie Telford of Iowa, Mike McMullan of Northwestern and Connor Medbery of Wisconsin. Telford beat Medbery at the Midlands Tournament in December, 3-1 although Medbery was victim of a bad referee who didn't award him a takedown and two back points. Medbery beat McMullan 7-6 in a dual meet. Last week Telford was ranked 1, Medbery 2 and McMullan 3. Friday, McMullan beat Telford 3-1. How will they be ranked on Tuesday?

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Post by jim »

Can someone explain the scoring rules in college? Also a quick compare/contrast to HS. I wrestled in HS but know only that the rules are a little different in college. Are the college rules the same as the olympics (which I don't know either)?

Also, we went to see Foxcatcher this weekend, and I was telling my wife the horror stories of cutting weight back then and how they regulate that. I know they take baseline tests - any ideas how that works? I assume they do that in the NCAA?

slide_into_first

High school doesn't award riding time, and in college a pin is quicker- a 2 count instead of 3 in high school. In college if someone was on top for at least one minute longer than the opponent he gets one point. Otherwise it is 2 takedown or reversal 1 escape 2 or 3 nearfall. College overtime is different as well. There is a one minute sudden victory, first takedown wins. If nobody scores they each have to be on the bottom for thirty seconds. If one escapes and the other doesn't he wins. If no winner they do it all over again with another sudden victory followed by two rideout periods. If no one has won by then the person with more overtime riding time wins.

In Foxcatcher, Mark Schultz scored points in one match rolling his opponent over a couple of times using a gutwrench. It is one point in freestyle but not in folkstyle.
Last edited by slide_into_first on January 26 15, 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

slide_into_first

Re weight cutting they have an official weigh in at the beginning of the season with a measurement of urine specific gravity to make sure the guy was not dehydrated at the weigh in. You can go up but not down from that weight. That is high school or college.

slide_into_first

In freestyle or Greco a take down is one point and an escape is one point but if you are taken down and lay on your belly for s few seconds the ref calls a stalemate and you get a neutral restart with no point awarded. In folk style if you lift the opponent you have to return him to the mat safely by having one knee on the ground but in international you can just toss him on his back.

slide_into_first

This is an entertaining match where they keep trying to throw each other using Greco techniques.

slide_into_first

slide_into_first wrote:The top three heavyweights in the country are Bobbie Telford of Iowa, Mike McMullan of Northwestern and Connor Medbery of Wisconsin. Telford beat Medbery at the Midlands Tournament in December, 3-1 although Medbery was victim of a bad referee who didn't award him a takedown and two back points. Medbery beat McMullan 7-6 in a dual meet. Last week Telford was ranked 1, Medbery 2 and McMullan 3. Friday, McMullan beat Telford 3-1. How will they be ranked on Tuesday?
Believe it or not he moved the 4th ranked wrestler to #1, Nick Gwiazdowski of NC State. So it is Gxxxxxx1, Medbery 2, McMullan 3 and Telford 4.

http://wrestlingreport.com/current_news ... =8&t=55191

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

slide_into_first wrote:Re weight cutting they have an official weigh in at the beginning of the season with a measurement of urine specific gravity to make sure the guy was not dehydrated at the weigh in. You can go up but not down from that weight. That is high school or college.

I was always trying to put on weight in HS, to be big tough FB player, ya know. My friends that wrestled would be trying to lose weight. Lunch table was fun, going up for Honey Buns and extra PBJs. They'd look at me with contempt. School lunch was never so delicious.

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Post by jim »

slide_into_first wrote:High school doesn't award riding time, and in college a pin is quicker- a 2 count instead of 3 in high school. In college if someone was on top for at least one minute longer than the opponent he gets one point. Otherwise it is 2 takedown or reversal 1 escape 2 or 3 nearfall. College overtime is different as well. There is a one minute sudden victory, first takedown wins. If nobody scores they each have to be on the bottom for thirty seconds. If one escapes and the other doesn't he wins. If no winner they do it all over again with another sudden victory followed by two rideout periods. If no one has won by then the person with more overtime riding time wins.

In Foxcatcher, Mark Schultz scored points in one match rolling his opponent over a couple of times using a gutwrench. It is one point in freestyle but not in folkstyle.
Thanks.

Not sure what state you are in but in Illinois - at least when I wrestled - a pin wasn't a 2 or a 3 count. You should had to show control - so basically as soon as the shoulders were on the mat and not coming right back up it was a pin.

Ok - so basically riding time is the only scoring differenc? Is a nearfall > 5 seconds like in HS?

And thanks for clearing that up in the movie - I thought the movie did a good job overall mimic'ing the sport, you could tell they had done their homework on training methods etc... - I even thought the culture of wrestlers was captured pretty well by his brother. I knew severals that acted and walked like that. But I wondered about that rolling the guy over a couple of times - I just thought that was madeup. In HS you wouldn't get points for that.