NFL 2013 offseason thread

A forum for non-baseball sports
Schlich
Don't tone police me bro!

NFL 2013 offseason thread

Post by Schlich »

Bradshaw dropped from NYG. Cant say i saw that one coming.

Get on it, Ted Thompson!

docellis
America's Most Beloved Twitter Joke Thief

Re: NFL 2013 offseason thread

Post by docellis »

BUMP

Schlich
Don't tone police me bro!

Post by Schlich »

I really wanted Jackson too. I wasn't even expecting anything, but then i got my hopes up.

Who's left on the RB market? Turner?

Vidor
You've just been hit by...VidorSmarm™

Post by Vidor »

So I posted in the other thread, per Deadspin, looks like the Tuck Rule is going away. That was called correctly in the Snow Bowl game but it's a really stupid rule.

letsgocards89
Perennial All-Star

Post by letsgocards89 »

Vidor wrote:So I posted in the other thread, per Deadspin, looks like the Tuck Rule is going away. That was called correctly in the Snow Bowl game but it's a really stupid rule.
One of the worst calls in the history of professional sports. A royal screwing courtesy of the NFL.

Vidor
You've just been hit by...VidorSmarm™

Post by Vidor »

letsgocards89 wrote:
Vidor wrote:So I posted in the other thread, per Deadspin, looks like the Tuck Rule is going away. That was called correctly in the Snow Bowl game but it's a really stupid rule.
One of the worst calls in the history of professional sports. A royal screwing courtesy of the NFL.
No, it wasn't. Per the rule, it was called correctly. It's just that the rule is asinine.

letsgocards89
Perennial All-Star

Post by letsgocards89 »

Vidor wrote:
letsgocards89 wrote:
No, it wasn't. Per the rule, it was called correctly. It's just that the rule is asinine.
No, it was not called correctly. The tuck portion of the rule had no bearing on that particular play. It was used to ensure that the Patriots kept the ball.

Section 22 Rule 3 Article 2 of the NFL rule book addresses the forward pass. Note 2 refers to the action of "tucking" the ball and when it is or is not a fumble.
NFL Rule 3, Section 22, Article 2, Note 2. When [an offensive] player is holding the ball to pass it forward, any intentional forward movement of his arm starts a forward pass, even if the player loses possession of the ball as he is attempting to tuck it back toward his body. Also, if the player has tucked the ball into his body and then loses possession, it is a fumble.
However, there was no attempt to "tuck" the ball during this play. There *was* a successful attempt by Brady to recock his arm in preparation for a pass attempt. Note 3 of Rule 3 defines the "recocking" of a pass attempt.
Note 3: If the player loses possession of the ball while attempting to recock his arm, it is a fumble.
The officials reviewed the play long enough to find some technicality in the rule book and a story with which to spin it when the correct call was completely obvious.

letsgocards89
Perennial All-Star

Post by letsgocards89 »

Also, as much as I hate the "tuck rule" I would suggest that they should be careful about removing it. With the league moving toward offenses utilizing mobile quarterbacks, the rule may be useful in determining fumble/incomplete pass when a QB actually does tuck the ball to run. It's just important to clarify it and use it in the appropriate situation.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

So the Rams finally figured out that the OL sucks, and signed Jake Long? Bravo.

letsgocards89
Perennial All-Star

Post by letsgocards89 »

Rams Fans: I'm curious about your take on Sam Bradford. STL seems to be divided. One group insists that it's poor O-line play and a lack of weapons holding him back from taking the next step. The other group says that a good QB would overcome and make his receivers better, and that 2013 is the final straw.

What say you?