Worst sports injury you've witnessed?

A forum for non-baseball sports
pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Re: Worst sports injury you've witnessed?

Post by pioneer98 »

mikechamp wrote:
pioneer98 wrote:It was in a minor league hockey playoff game here on Wednesday. The other team had a 2 on 1 break, and a defenseman dove across the ice to try to block a shot...one of the other team's players closing in the the net collided with his skate, and cut open a huge gash in his leg. He fell to the ice extremely awkwardly, and was writhing in pain. He clutched his leg and then actually stood up to try to get off the ice. As he did that, blood spurted out onto the ice. His femoral artery had been cut. I had one of the best seats to see it unfold. A teammate helped him off the ice to an open area that leads to the locker rooms. EMT's and a couple fans who happened to be doctors went down to try to take care of him until the ambulance got there, which seemed to take forever. After they got him out of there, they had to mop up the blood where he had been laying. He had surgery, and is recovering. He attended the other games on crutches. A photo of the gash has been floating around because he evidently posted one to Twitter. I refuse to look at it, but people say it's the nastiest thing they've ever seen.

So...has anyone else witnessed anything like that?
Your story reminds me of the NHL goalie (in the '80s) that took a skate to the neck and it cut his jugular vein. He lived.

I wasn't there, nor did I ever see video of it, but thought it worth mentioning here in case anyone did.
I believe there is video of that injury on Youtube...but I don't feel like finding it or watching it.
Last edited by pioneer98 on April 10 13, 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:Worst in person would be a kid who broke his leg at the shin scoring a goal in soccer. Poked it past the oncoming keeper then got his lower leg caught underneath the keeper. They had to set the leg on the field and even though his face was buried in the ground, I could hear him screaming from 50 yards. Horrible.
That makes me cringe just thinking about it.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

I once responded to a guy who cut his own neck because his ex girlfriend wouldn't let him in her apt. That was pretty gross. Until I looked closer and saw that it really was just a flesh wound.

sorry, not sports related.

JackofDiamonds
Bringer of Boston Baked Blue Balls

Post by JackofDiamonds »

MARK AS READ

Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.

Post by Leroy »

Theismann has to be the worst. To this day he still pisses his pants if he doesn't take beta alpha whatever.

cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardinalkarp »

Worst in person was a few years back in our men's baseball league the opposing pitcher broke his arm (around the elbow area) mid pitch. It was not only pretty gruesome but one of the strangest things I've ever seen. The ball literally came at our dugout from the mound out of his hand & his arm just kind of dangled :?

Sutter'sBeard
is the oscar meyer weiner kid

Post by Sutter'sBeard »

Saw one in person two years ago while officiating a football game in Danville, Il. Flanker caught 5 yard slant across the middle, he slipped and put his left arm out to keep him on his feet. The linebacker came in diving and hit the receiver's elbow, bending it completely back in the wrong direction. It sounded like someone breaking a 2x4. I only looked at it for a split second. Delayed the game 45 minutes waiting for the ambulance to load him.

Spider John
Hall Of Famer

Post by Spider John »

I didn't see it happen, but I was at a high school playoff football game where a player for the losing team head butted a brick wall, broke his neck, and died.

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

I snapped my tibia junior year in football. It was pretty horrific.

When I was younger I happened to be watching the game where Robin Ventura slid and broke his ankle. I swear his foot was sideways.

Vidor
You've just been hit by...VidorSmarm™

Post by Vidor »

pioneer98 wrote:
mikechamp wrote:
pioneer98 wrote:It was in a minor league hockey playoff game here on Wednesday. The other team had a 2 on 1 break, and a defenseman dove across the ice to try to block a shot...one of the other team's players closing in the the net collided with his skate, and cut open a huge gash in his leg. He fell to the ice extremely awkwardly, and was writhing in pain. He clutched his leg and then actually stood up to try to get off the ice. As he did that, blood spurted out onto the ice. His femoral artery had been cut. I had one of the best seats to see it unfold. A teammate helped him off the ice to an open area that leads to the locker rooms. EMT's and a couple fans who happened to be doctors went down to try to take care of him until the ambulance got there, which seemed to take forever. After they got him out of there, they had to mop up the blood where he had been laying. He had surgery, and is recovering. He attended the other games on crutches. A photo of the gash has been floating around because he evidently posted one to Twitter. I refuse to look at it, but people say it's the nastiest thing they've ever seen.

So...has anyone else witnessed anything like that?
Your story reminds me of the NHL goalie (in the '80s) that took a skate to the neck and it cut his jugular vein. He lived.

I wasn't there, nor did I ever see video of it, but thought it worth mentioning here in case anyone did.
I believe there is video of that injury on Youtube...but I don't feel like finding it or watching it.
Not only is there video, ESPN just released a "30 for 30" short film about Clint Malarchuk. The guy suffered PTSD, in fact never got over it, broke down and cried when he was interviewed for the movie. The similar Richard Zednik injury a few years ago caused Malarchuk to try and kill himself. The bullet wound up shattering his jaw and knocking out some teeth instead.