Worst sports injury you've witnessed?

A forum for non-baseball sports
pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Worst sports injury you've witnessed?

Post by pioneer98 »

The one fresh in everyone's mind is Kevin Ware's broken leg...but I think I saw one that was worse a few days later, believe it or not.

It was in a minor league hockey playoff game here on Wednesday. The other team had a 2 on 1 break, and a defenseman dove across the ice to try to block a shot...one of the other team's players closing in the the net collided with his skate, and cut open a huge gash in his leg. He fell to the ice extremely awkwardly, and was writhing in pain. He clutched his leg and then actually stood up to try to get off the ice. As he did that, blood spurted out onto the ice. His femoral artery had been cut. I had one of the best seats to see it unfold. A teammate helped him off the ice to an open area that leads to the locker rooms. EMT's and a couple fans who happened to be doctors went down to try to take care of him until the ambulance got there, which seemed to take forever. After they got him out of there, they had to mop up the blood where he had been laying. He had surgery, and is recovering. He attended the other games on crutches. A photo of the gash has been floating around because he evidently posted one to Twitter. I refuse to look at it, but people say it's the nastiest thing they've ever seen.

So...has anyone else witnessed anything like that?

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Re: Worst sports injury you've witnessed?

Post by lukethedrifter »

Either when I broke my hand in the Orange and Black Scrimmage my Senior year or when I blew out my knee when I tried to keep that guy from going baseline on me in a Men's Basketball League at the South County Y.

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Post by jim »

Catching a guy in college and he took a line drive to the mouth. It ricocheted back to where I would have had a play but our 1b didn't cover because he thought the pitcher was dead. When we came out he was grasping at his mouth... We thought he was trying to get his chew out. Later he said he thought the ball was still stuck in his mouth. When the trainer. Pulled the chew out it was this bloody brown mess with teeth in it. We were out of town and had to leave him in the hospital. Once we found out he was okay we did imitation of him getting hit to entertain ourselves on the way home.

Jack0fDiamonds
Fringe Major League Player

Post by Jack0fDiamonds »

#1 -Playing hockey, this one cat from Dorchester took a puck in the eye socket. He was fine by the time we got to the bahr.
#2- Was sculling on the Chahrles and the oahr came out of it's riggin and impaled this southie. He was fine by the time we got to the bah.

JackofDiamonds
Bringer of Boston Baked Blue Balls

Post by JackofDiamonds »

CLAM CHOWDAH

cardsfansince82
is shooing asian children away from his fridge.

Post by cardsfansince82 »

Professional level probably Pujols' line drive off Chris Young's face. That just happened to be the best seats I've ever had at an MLB game (10 rows back directly behind home plate) so I saw it all in graphic detail.

The best player on my ninth grade football team had basically the same injury as Kevin Ware, compound leg fracture with his bone sticking out, but thankfully he was all the way across the field so we didn't really see it. He never played again.

During intramural softball in college a good friend of mine and I were tracking the same flyball and he blew out all the ligaments in his knee 10 feet away from me. It was pretty bad, and to make it worse he didn't rehab it at all after surgery. He's still gimping around like an old man 8 years later.

fanforever
Retired

Post by fanforever »

Worst injury I saw was Joe Theisman's broken leg on Monday Night Footabll in the mid 80's...I was at that game in DC

IndyCards13
Everyday Player

Post by IndyCards13 »

The worst one I've seen in person would be when we were walking to the football field to get ready for our game and the 7th grade team was playing before us and we saw a kid run off the field holding his hand. Once we got closer, we saw him and 2 ladies walking towards us and they were holding his hand out in front of him and his finger was all bent over behind another finger and bloody. Grossest injury i've seen face to face.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

pioneer98 wrote:It was in a minor league hockey playoff game here on Wednesday. The other team had a 2 on 1 break, and a defenseman dove across the ice to try to block a shot...one of the other team's players closing in the the net collided with his skate, and cut open a huge gash in his leg. He fell to the ice extremely awkwardly, and was writhing in pain. He clutched his leg and then actually stood up to try to get off the ice. As he did that, blood spurted out onto the ice. His femoral artery had been cut. I had one of the best seats to see it unfold. A teammate helped him off the ice to an open area that leads to the locker rooms. EMT's and a couple fans who happened to be doctors went down to try to take care of him until the ambulance got there, which seemed to take forever. After they got him out of there, they had to mop up the blood where he had been laying. He had surgery, and is recovering. He attended the other games on crutches. A photo of the gash has been floating around because he evidently posted one to Twitter. I refuse to look at it, but people say it's the nastiest thing they've ever seen.

So...has anyone else witnessed anything like that?
Your story reminds me of the NHL goalie (in the '80s) that took a skate to the neck and it cut his jugular vein. He lived.

I wasn't there, nor did I ever see video of it, but thought it worth mentioning here in case anyone did.

Transmogrified Tiger
Puppy Murderer

Post by Transmogrified Tiger »

Worst in person would be a kid who broke his leg at the shin scoring a goal in soccer. Poked it past the oncoming keeper then got his lower leg caught underneath the keeper. They had to set the leg on the field and even though his face was buried in the ground, I could hear him screaming from 50 yards. Horrible.