Mizzou football '13

A forum for non-baseball sports
lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Mizzou football '13

Post by lukethedrifter »

Is Mauk going to take over at QB? Is being in the SEC going to suck?

Vidor
You've just been hit by...VidorSmarm™

Re: Mizzou football '13

Post by Vidor »

I just wonder when the SEC will figure out that they need to go to a nine-game conference schedule now.

JL21
NPR & THT Contributor

Post by JL21 »

The only slightly, even remotely meaningful info about the QB situation so far is that Mauk is now 2nd in the QB stretch lines, surpassing Berkstresser. But it's so far off before they'll make a decision.

There was also an article about Franklin going to California over spring break to work with some QB guru guy.

http://www.columbiatribune.com/blogs/be ... 0f31a.html

I can't find the quote- and it's not in that article- but the guy who worked with him had some really great things to say about him. And my money's on him winning the starting job anyway.

I think the offense this year is going to be light years ahead of where it was last year. Having a healthy offensive line with more experience, and a healthy QB (and a reliable backup QB) makes a massive difference. They'll also have Josey back, and their talented young WRs will all have more experience. The problem is, the defense seems primed to take a hit mostly due to losing Richardson. Overall, they seem like they should be a slightly better squad. 7-5 or 8-4 looks and sounds like a very reasonable goal.

The schedule is even a little more favorable. Instead of UCF, Arizona St., and Syracuse, they have Murray St., Indiana, and Toledo. Instead of Alabama, they have Ole Miss. They get Carolina, Florida, and Tennessee at home.

robbotis
Perennial All-Star

Post by robbotis »

JL21 wrote:The only slightly, even remotely meaningful info about the QB situation so far is that Mauk is now 2nd in the QB stretch lines, surpassing Berkstresser. But it's so far off before they'll make a decision.

There was also an article about Franklin going to California over spring break to work with some QB guru guy.

http://www.columbiatribune.com/blogs/be ... 0f31a.html

I can't find the quote- and it's not in that article- but the guy who worked with him had some really great things to say about him. And my money's on him winning the starting job anyway.

I think the offense this year is going to be light years ahead of where it was last year. Having a healthy offensive line with more experience, and a healthy QB (and a reliable backup QB) makes a massive difference. They'll also have Josey back, and their talented young WRs will all have more experience. The problem is, the defense seems primed to take a hit mostly due to losing Richardson. Overall, they seem like they should be a slightly better squad. 7-5 or 8-4 looks and sounds like a very reasonable goal.

The schedule is even a little more favorable. Instead of UCF, Arizona St., and Syracuse, they have Murray St., Indiana, and Toledo. Instead of Alabama, they have Ole Miss. They get Carolina, Florida, and Tennessee at home.

Still, if they don't get better play calling, and play Franklin at QB, they'll have a bad season. They need to go back to the Chase Daniel era offense. The spread run offense won't work in the SEC, at least when Franklin can't his anybody more than 5 yards down the field, when you do actually throw it downfield.

The Mizzou D is fine. It's Matt Mauk time.

Transmogrified Tiger
Puppy Murderer

Post by Transmogrified Tiger »

The scheme is fine. Any scheme was going to struggle against the toughest schedule in the country when you can never start more than 3 of your best 5 offensive linemen and your starting QB is out or hurt for half the season.

That said, I'm pulling for Mauk to win the QB job. Part of it is shiny new recruit syndrome, part of it is thinking that Franklin has established his ceiling(plus his injuries have mounted to the point that he's not a great bet to play the full season), part of it's a preference for a QB who is the closest proxy to Daniel that Mizzou has had since Daniel, and part of it is believing in Franklin enough that if Mauk legitimately beats him out that must mean he's pretty good.

redbirdjazzz
Perennial All-Star

Post by redbirdjazzz »

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:The scheme is fine. Any scheme was going to struggle against the toughest schedule in the country when you can never start more than 3 of your best 5 offensive linemen and your starting QB is out or hurt for half the season.

That said, I'm pulling for Mauk to win the QB job. Part of it is shiny new recruit syndrome, part of it is thinking that Franklin has established his ceiling(plus his injuries have mounted to the point that he's not a great bet to play the full season), part of it's a preference for a QB who is the closest proxy to Daniel that Mizzou has had since Daniel, and part of it is believing in Franklin enough that if Mauk legitimately beats him out that must mean he's pretty good.
Nicely put, Tiger. I agree with all of this.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

JL21
NPR & THT Contributor

Post by JL21 »

I'd say that's a pretty fair article. If he wins 5 games again, I think he'll be out of a job. Maybe if he wins 6. If he wins 7, he's safe.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

That's what I thought. The potential for a guy to come across as a a bellyacher saying "Oh noes, mizous the worst and pinkell is needs to go" was high. But, he gave credit where it was due. At the same time. A loss to Arkansas State and or only beating Kentucky would be horrible.

JL21
NPR & THT Contributor

Post by JL21 »

Spring game stats so far for the QBs. Maukstresser is not looking so good. Franklin has led two TD drives.
Gabe DeArmond ‏@GabeDeArmond 2m
Unofficial stats at half: Franklin 9-15, 83 yds. Mauk 3-9, 20 yds, 2 INT, Berkstresser 7-13, 82 yds, 2 INT