Masters

A forum for non-baseball sports
BW23
Hall Of Famer

Re: Masters

Post by BW23 »

PurdueSTL wrote:
Joe Shlabotnik wrote:THAT was a another finish for the ages. Carera and Scott went toe to toe on two holes. Not 3 or 4 yards separating them on any shot. Cabrera just missing 2 birdies and Scott making two huge long putts. Amazing.
Such a shame that this has been buried under the mountain of debate over Tiger Woods' character (or lack therof)....

Such is life when ratings numbers are the only thing that matters.
And because of the ratings and cameras on Tiger, that's how he was "caught".

JackofDiamonds
Bringer of Boston Baked Blue Balls

Post by JackofDiamonds »

Actually, story today is that he didn't drop as far back as implied and that he didn't deserve the penalty based on actual play. He got it because of his own words, but he didn't actually drop 2 yards back.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

I wonder then... a tempest in a teapot. Probably every golfer who drops - w/in the rules-does so with the intent of giving himself the best lie possible. Sounds like what he said in the ESPN interview just verbalized that.

Richie Allen
Perennial All-Star

Post by Richie Allen »

I got the feeling it wasn't about the lie. He thought he could hit the identical shot and it would land a couple feet shorter and, hopefully, avoid hitting the pin again. I guess he assumed the first shot he hit and where it landed might have eventually settled a couple feet past the hole if it had avoided hitting the pin. All I know is in most drop situations, you have a margin of error (or roll) of about a club length. The ball often rolls after it's dropped but it's still a legal drop. This seemed like a pretty cheap penalty to me because I saw no advantage at all other than possibly mentally. He should have just shut up. He obviously was unaware of the rule or he would have never said it.

stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother

Post by stlouie_lipp »

Richie is right. Also, don't forget that the rules committee looked at the drop right after it happened and ruled it wasn't illegal. If it had been a rules official on the course who made that exact same decision, it wouldn't matter what he said afterwords.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

The Masters

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

I enjoy this tournament more every year. The beauty, the history, the great competition.

The web site is top notch too. Lots of good coverage leading up to the tournament beginning today.

I will enjoy watching the honorary starters. Palmer, Nicklaus, and Player. They fought each other so hard all those years and now are fast friends busting each others balls. Fun to watch.

I'm going to be watching / streaming as much as I can this weekend.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Spieth just looks unstoppable.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:Spieth just looks unstoppable.
1997 Tigeresque.

baseburglerlou
Everyday Player

Post by baseburglerlou »

Yes he does. 36 hole record. Not bad for 21 year old....

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:Spieth just looks unstoppable.
1997 Tigeresque.
I don't remember all of Tigers rounds, but iirc, he was hitting the ball farther than anyone thought possible while still in complete control and changed the layout because of that. Spieth doesn't appear to be cut of that ilk. He just....doesn't make bogies. Missed the fairway? NBD, just knock it up somewhere around the green and get up and down. His iron shots are pretty damn good, but his shortgame seems to be out of this world. There was 15 yesterday and 18 today where he seemingly gave one away....and that's it. Tough to keep that up. Tiger used to be able to though, no doubt.