US Open Golf - LOVING It!

A forum for non-baseball sports
PurdueSTL
Veteran Player
Location: Originally: LA (lower Alton); Now: along the Potomac

US Open Golf - LOVING It!

Post by PurdueSTL »

Don't know it there are any other "choppers" out there but....

How cool is it to watch a golf tournament where par is actually valued????

As a golfer who was decidedly NOT not touched by greatness, I am totally enjoying watching the pros struggle to make par on a classic, old-school track like Merion.

I'm a lefty, so I'm rooting for Phil to shed the eternal bridesmaid status he's saddled with when it comes to the Open...it would be nice as well for Bubba and/or Mike Weir to catch fire as well.

stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother

Re: US Open Golf - LOVING It!

Post by stlouie_lipp »

I can't wait for tomorrow afternoon.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Time to start pulling for Jason Day and his hot wife.

MrSaigon

Post by MrSaigon »

For the love of Jesus is there nothing to cheer at a golf tournament besides 'get in the hole'?

Nothing is even nearly as bad as vuvuzelas at a soccer game, but gith is second worse followed closely by Seven Nation Army

cardsfansince82
is shooing asian children away from his fridge.

Post by cardsfansince82 »

Unbelievable shot by Phil. Might be his time.

stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother

Post by stlouie_lipp »

Rose...his first major!

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

I watched a lot of this yesterday. Poor Phil. Just never made a putt, it didn't seem like. And it seemed like he lost control of his driver/2 wood.

Also, poor stricker. I saw him kind of back off that shot on the 2nd hole and then get back over it. Just seemed...weird, then sure enough....*SHANK* Honestly, I can't believe he didn't totally implode and post an 80+ for the day. I totally know that numb frozen feeling.....like....what the hell am I doing.

My senior year, after I had made it out of regionals my sophomore and junior year, I was playing my regionals round trying to just advance which meant probably only breaking 80. Through 6 holes, I was 1 under and playing well. I've got visions of winning the thing dancing through my head. On pace for a 3 under. Gonna be awesome. Then, wham, on the 7th hole, I hit two O.B. off the tee and walked away with a 10. Still, though, if I could have just played even par, or even a couple over going forward...would have been fine. But, I couldn't. I was just...numb. No worse feeling on a golf course.

PurdueSTL
Veteran Player
Location: Originally: LA (lower Alton); Now: along the Potomac

Post by PurdueSTL »

I hate to say it, but Phil flat-out choked the Open away....

2 hideous, un-forced double bogeys on the front nine, a stupidly airmailed wedge on the easiest par-3, and countless yakked putts and misplaced approaches that could have easily salted away the title....

This was NOT an instance where the winner took charge and dominated the field-- all Rose did was f@#k up just a bit less than everyone else. Congrats to him- that is often how U.S. Opens are won.

No doubt this was an extremely tough course, but honesty compels me to say that Phil gave it away-- once again!

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

PurdueSTL wrote:I hate to say it, but Phil flat-out choked the Open away....

2 hideous, un-forced double bogeys on the front nine, a stupidly airmailed wedge on the easiest par-3, and countless yakked putts and misplaced approaches that could have easily salted away the title....

This was NOT an instance where the winner took charge and dominated the field-- all Rose did was f@#k up just a bit less than everyone else. Congrats to him- that is often how U.S. Opens are won.

No doubt this was an extremely tough course, but honesty compels me to say that Phil gave it away-- once again!
The Tom Weiskopf of his generation - although Weiskopf's bane was the Masters.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

PurdueSTL wrote:I hate to say it, but Phil flat-out choked the Open away....

There's two different ways to look at it...

The first is a resounding 'duh.' He was 4 over on the day, his worst round of the tournament. Of course he gave it away.

The other, though, is that he simply lost control of his driver and still couldn't make a putt - a continuation of the week. TBH, I was surprised he was only 4 over at the end of the day. How many bad shots did he hit when he didn't have a putter or driver in his hand? Only a couple. He hadn't been putting well all week and was still -1 going into the final round due to how well he was hitting the ball. So, it's really not a surprise that without the putter working and struggling to hit the fairway, he didn't post a great score. Is that giving the tournament away or is it just golf?

Also, Rose didn't look phenomenal. But he just kept hitting fairways and greens. Fairways and greens. And making his putts. That's a lot easier said than done on the back 9 of a US Open when you're at the top of the leader board (and on a course that had befuddled everyone all week), I'd imagine. So while it may not have looked phenomenal, it was extremely solid. Good for him.