US Open Golf - LOVING It!

A forum for non-baseball sports
JackofDiamonds
Bringer of Boston Baked Blue Balls

Re: US Open Golf - LOVING It!

Post by JackofDiamonds »

Even tougher to do on the back 9 of a US Open with an openly hostile (for golf) crowd.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Right.

For those that watched it, was there ever a point where Rose was about to hit a shot - any shot - where you didn't feel like it was going, generally, where he wanted? I was rooting for Phil, no doubt. And, that meant rooting against Rose. But, every time he got up there, it was just like....well, damn....hope he [expletive] the next one up.

PurdueSTL
Veteran Player
Location: Originally: LA (lower Alton); Now: along the Potomac

Post by PurdueSTL »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:.... How many bad shots did he hit when he didn't have a putter or driver in his hand? Only a couple. He hadn't been putting well all week and was still -1 going into the final round due to how well he was hitting the ball. So, it's really not a surprise that without the putter working and struggling to hit the fairway, he didn't post a great score. Is that giving the tournament away or is it just golf?
Those "couple" (I'd argue there were more, but the airmailed tee shot on 13, and the cowardly approach he "quit on" from 120 after a perfect drive) were killers every bit as much as the rimmed 10-12 foot putts that didn't drop. Outside of the holed wedge shot, I wasn't all that impressed with his fairway game on Sunday. His supposed "strength" really wasn't a strength at all when he really needed it.

Ben Hogan had the final, best advice for a guy who came to him for help on making more long putts.... "hit your approaches closer to the pin" was Ben's reply :D

cardsfansince82
is shooing asian children away from his fridge.

Post by cardsfansince82 »

Kind of funny to see Phil fly completely under the radar and win the British after all of his high profile struggles in majors.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

cardsfansince82 wrote:Kind of funny to see Phil fly completely under the radar and win the British after all of his high profile struggles in majors.
Wasn't that great?

I'm calling it here - Tiger Woods needs an attitude adjustment or he won't pass the Bear.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
cardsfansince82 wrote:Kind of funny to see Phil fly completely under the radar and win the British after all of his high profile struggles in majors.
Wasn't that great?

I'm calling it here - Tiger Woods needs an attitude adjustment or he won't pass the Bear.
He hasn't won a major since 2008. I can't see any reason to think he can win 5 more.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

I think the attitude is a function of not winning more than the other way around. Of course, it's like the chicken and egg thing. We'll never know.

I'm with Luke.

And, I'm gonna point to his putter more than any other part of his game/mental approach for shortcomings.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

Golf is almost purely mental at that level. There is no way to explain his lock up in the late rounds of the majors for the last couple of years. He still wins multiple times on tour every year. Then has a good 2/3 rounds at the majors - good enough to hang around - and then fades fast. It's all between his ears.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

Wasn't Tiger always a frontrunner? I could be misremembering, but I thought the majority of his major wins came when he was leading going into the final round.

Edit: Yeah, Tiger has never come from behind on the last day to win a major.

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/54186080/

PurdueSTL
Veteran Player
Location: Originally: LA (lower Alton); Now: along the Potomac

Post by PurdueSTL »

So glad to see Lefty break thru to convincingly win a trophy he seemed to have "psyched" himself into thinking he could never win.

He clearly belongs among the game's all-time greats now.

Tiger is already cemented there, and it would be nice if he'd mature and acquire a bit of grace and self-control when things don't go his way--the childish cursing and tantrums he throws after bad shots are getting REALLY old.