2013-2014 NBA Season

A forum for non-baseball sports
Socnorb11
The Last Word

Re: 2013-2014 NBA Season

Post by Socnorb11 »

Jocephus wrote:hah, c'mon soc, don't be so coy about "i guess winning is fun". you know it is, you are a cardinals and broncos fan.

and while jordan, magic, dunc, et al didn't publicly conspire to get a team together, you don't think those guys had/have an ear with the GM/coach, etc on what is the best path for them/the team? kobe wants to be involved with who the next coach is. don't you think peyton has a very clear dialogue with elway on what he thinks is best for him (peyton) as well as the team (what kind of player peyton works well with/skill set, etc).

obviously you dont have to "like-like" LBJ nor would i try to change your mind but i think you are exaggerating a bit here in regards to what he did and what others have (or haven't) done

Sure. Every superstar probably has some influence with the GM. You don't think Lebron did in Cleveland? If not........ why didn't he? Why couldn't they make it happen for the Cavs (I'm not saying it's Lebron's fault.......... I'm asking a serious question). What about Shaq in Orlando?

There are LOTS of good players who spent their entire career trying to bring a championship to their hometown team. Gervin, Reggie Miller, Karl Malone, Patrick Ewing, etc. There's no shame in that.

Lebron and Shaq are the only superstars that I recall pursuing championships on another team, in the prime of their career. It is what it is, but I think you lose some nostalgia when you do that. He's got the 2 championships, though.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

but thats a personal standard you've set up and its really not fair. who's ever implied that not bringing a championship to your hometown team is shameful?

again, going back to peyton, he chose a team that was in a good position to win. why can you only do that towards the end of your career?

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

When the hell is fat bulldog gonna drop in to adjudicate this thread?

Bo Hart
Perennial All-Star

Post by Bo Hart »

I don't know how people can dislike LeBron.

"The Decision" was stupid, but that was years ago and he's even conceded it was a poor decision on his part. Since his first Finals loss in Miami, he's become quite humble. I find his personality very likable. He's very diplomatic with the way he speaks, he always says the right things and he seems like a genuinely benevolent guy.

Even the whole "not 1, not 2, not 3" stuff. Seriously, who cares? For starters, it was said in front of a huge crowd at a PR stunt after the Big Three signed, and was said during a festive / celebratory atmosphere in. And besides, what is so heinous about him saying that? Here's a quote from Derek Rose in 2011:
Time has passed since you won the MVP trophy award. What are your feelings about it now?

DR: It was great but I'm not satisfied. I won't be satisfied until I win a championship. I'm not satisfied at all. There's not a doubt in my mind that I'm not going to win a championship. I'm going win multiple championships. It's not a doubt in my mind.
How much different is that from what LeBron said?

Honestly, I find a guy like LeBron infinitely more likable than people like Michael Jordan, Jerry Rice, Barry Bonds, etc. I'm a 49ers fan, but I find Rice insufferable. Every chance he gets he reminds people how great he was. There's not a humble fiber in that man's entire body. I know that many of the all-time greats were driven by their passion / ego, but many times that makes them annoying as public figures (even if they were amazing to watch during gametime).

Now, that said, the only time I ever see / hear LeBron is during games / press conferences. Being that he's the most scrutinized player in sports, I'm sure every sentence he utters is analyzed and reanaylzed four thousand times on ESPN, so I'm sure people get burned out on him from the incessant coverage I assume he gets.

Aside from being the best player in the game, he's grown up a lot in recent years. He's the reason I started watching basketball, and I think he's a great role model / ambassador for the game. Supremely talented, great competitor, well-spoken and humble. Honestly, what more could you ask for?

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

Jocephus wrote:but thats a personal standard you've set up and its really not fair. who's ever implied that not bringing a championship to your hometown team is shameful?

again, going back to peyton, he chose a team that was in a good position to win. why can you only do that towards the end of your career?
Peyton would have preferred to stay in Indy. They didn't have room for him. That being said, the Broncos will always be "Elway's team".

As for your first sentence, that's true. It's my personal preference of what I appreciate about athletes. Strictly personal. I don't think I've ever used the term "shameful" when talking about Lebron. I don't think what he did is shameful at all.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

so each team has 1 player only to represent them for all generations past, present and future ?

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

Kyle, I agree with quite a bit of what you said. I like Lebron WAY more than I did a few years ago. I think he's done a good job of re-directing his image. No real problem with him, personally.

My preference, with regard to how teams are built, is to not try to assemble an "all star team" of free agents. It's certainly within the rules, and Lebron got his championships........... I just don't love it. Again, strictly my personal preference. I love the way the Spurs have gone about winning....... but that's not Lebron's fault.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

Jocephus wrote:so each team has 1 player only to represent them for all generations past, present and future ?
No, not really (although I guess I kinda implied that).

I won't ever view the Broncos as being "Manning's team". Indianapolis was his team. I absolutely love Manning as a football player and a guy, but I think most people will always identify him as a Colt, when all is said and done.

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Post by jim »

Kyle wrote:I don't know how people can dislike LeBron.
I don't dislike him, but I'm so tired of the whining after every single solitary call no matter how obvious. I don't think I like him, let's leave it there.

stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother

Post by stlouie_lipp »