Week 5 NCAAF Pickem

A forum for non-baseball sports
PurdueSTL
Veteran Player
Location: Originally: LA (lower Alton); Now: along the Potomac

Re: Week 5 NCAAF Pickem

Post by PurdueSTL »

ndistops wrote:

And speaking as a Notre Dame fan, nothing they did last year is relevant. This 2013 team is a mess and will win at most 8 games and probably less.
Now that I'm armed with the knowledge that "nothing nd did last year is relevant" I can only assume that you've been screaming at the top of your lungs since the Spring that nd is overrated, and has no place in any of the Top 25 polls this year, right? :D

PurdueSTL
Veteran Player
Location: Originally: LA (lower Alton); Now: along the Potomac

Post by PurdueSTL »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:Just looking at Sagarins rankings which is a computer formula, so take it for what it's worth:

Georgia (Clemson, South Carolina and LSU) is the toughest schedule so far.
Ole miss (Vandy, SEMO, Texas, Alabama) is 2nd.
SMU and FIU are 3 and 4, respectively.
South Carolina (Georgia, Vandy, North CArolina, UCF) is 5
Alabama (Va Tech, aTm, Ole Miss, CO State) is 6.
California (Ohio State, Northwestern, Oregon, Portland State) is 7.

Etc etc etc.

There's a ton of teams that are likely facing just as tough a schedule as Purdue even early on.
Fair enough-- I hereby downgrade my Purdue schedule bombast from the "probably" category, to the "arguably" category :wink:

Not that it matters-- even a crap schedule would prove to be unbelievably difficult for this Purdue team...

ndistops
All-Star

Post by ndistops »

PurdueSTL wrote:
ndistops wrote:

And speaking as a Notre Dame fan, nothing they did last year is relevant. This 2013 team is a mess and will win at most 8 games and probably less.
Now that I'm armed with the knowledge that "nothing nd did last year is relevant" I can only assume that you've been screaming at the top of your lungs since the Spring that nd is overrated, and has no place in any of the Top 25 polls this year, right? :D
Well, I wouldn't scream anything at the top of my lungs, but I didn't think ND would finish as high in the polls as they started, no. I thought they'd be good (I guessed 9 wins to start the year), but I didn't realize how much ND's defense would miss Manti Te'o. Nor did I realize that Brian Kelly, having gone 12-1 with a more conservative, run-oriented game plan last year, would voluntarily switch back to chucking the ball around 35 times a game with a severely physically limited QB and ignoring his talented stable of RBs even though he went 16-10 over 2 years doing that.

With those data points now at my disposal, I've revised my prediction to 8 wins max. I was fully prepared to lose to USC until Marqise Lee got hurt (and still wouldn't be shocked by it, no matter who's coaching them), they will probably lose this weekend to ASU, and there's no way in holy hell they're going to Stanford and winning.