Week 5 NCAAF Pickem

A forum for non-baseball sports
Valpo Cardinal Fan
Veteran Player

Re: Week 5 NCAAF Pickem

Post by Valpo Cardinal Fan »

:wink:

It was the Homecoming Game at Purdue and the opponent was originally meant to be "easier" so that the alumni could enjoy a Homecoming victory.

Ooops! That back fired. Boilers aren't supposed to back fire.

PurdueSTL
Veteran Player
Location: Originally: LA (lower Alton); Now: along the Potomac

Post by PurdueSTL »

Valpo Cardinal Fan wrote::wink:

It was the Homecoming Game at Purdue and the opponent was originally meant to be "easier" so that the alumni could enjoy a Homecoming victory.

You're obviously overjoyed at the result, so congratulations...

Let me guess--your'e one of those "reversible jacket" life forms that proliferate throughout Indiana; you know: die-hard doma wannabe during football season in the fall, then promptly switch over to IU hoops wannabe in the winter....

I'd expect more from someone hailing from Robbie Hummel's hometown :wink:

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Whoa whoa whoa.....nations toughest schedule? Obviously rankings are dynamic and change, but at the moment, their schedule has 3 top 25 teams, 2 of whom are in the 20s.

Sagarin has their strength of schedule at 21st in the nation at the moment....before most conference games have been played. And, they only have one more ranked opponent. Their last 4 are Iowa, Penn State, Illinois, Indiana.

Valpo Cardinal Fan
Veteran Player

PurdueSTL wrote:
Valpo Cardinal Fan wrote::wink:

You're obviously overjoyed at the result, so congratulations...

Let me guess--your'e one of those "reversible jacket" life forms that proliferate throughout Indiana; you know: die-hard doma wannabe during football season in the fall, then promptly switch over to IU hoops wannabe in the winter....

I'd expect more from someone hailing from Robbie Hummel's hometown :wink:
Robbie was a Valpo U ballboy at one time. I suppose now he is very happy he chose Purdue. He's playing somewhere in Europe now. Yes, that is one reason I sometimes despise the 2 Big Ten & ND teams. They were the big trio at Valpo High. Robbie, Scott Martin (transferred from Purdue to Notre Dame) and Tom Thorton "Quarry." A few years later it was Robbie's brother, Dan Hummel and Scott's brother, Andy Martin, who lead Valpo High. My dad's, at one time, boss's daughter married the Valpo High coach, Joe Otis (a legend at LaPorte HS as coach) and I heard a bunch of the inside stories on the VHS boys BB team. Alas, Joe Otis moved on and I hear no more. The Hummels and Martins are both really good families.

Homer Drew knew Robbie since he was a ballboy. But when you're talking about a 5,000 seat, square looking "high school" type gym compared to Mackey Arena in West Lafayette it made a huge difference. Maybe Robbie will come back and coach Valpo U once Bryce Drew moves on to a bigger program.

One of the things I love about the Drews is to this day despite having all the medical issues he has had with himself and his wife and the all the traveling he does to Waco and Ohio, Homer will still see me walking across campus and stop me ask about my dad and mom (my dad spent 42 years on staff at Valpo U), my own family and all my brothers and sisters. Homer never misses a beat.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Homer is a WGHS grad like a few of us on this board.

Valpo Cardinal Fan
Veteran Player

lukethedrifter wrote:Homer is a WGHS grad like a few of us on this board.
So are two of my uncles.

I suppose that maybe why Homer liked my dad. He knew one of my uncles who was dealing with Vietnam Vet issues in the 80's. When Homer came to Valpo he was from IU-South Bend and Bryce was in elementary school. All the same schools I went to actually.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

There is something about you Indiana people.

PurdueSTL
Veteran Player
Location: Originally: LA (lower Alton); Now: along the Potomac

Post by PurdueSTL »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:Whoa whoa whoa.....nations toughest schedule? Obviously rankings are dynamic and change, but at the moment, their schedule has 3 top 25 teams, 2 of whom are in the 20s.

Sagarin has their strength of schedule at 21st in the nation at the moment....before most conference games have been played. And, they only have one more ranked opponent. Their last 4 are Iowa, Penn State, Illinois, Indiana.
Name me another school that will face anything close the following in its first six games:

*a 10-win bowl winner the previous season on its home field for its season opener;
*an 11-win team that played for the National Championship (not very well, to be sure--but still);
*a 10-win conference champion, on its home field for Homecoming, that made the Rose Bowl;
* one more 10-win team, the reigning MAC champion with much of its personnel returning from an historic Orange Bowl season;
* yet ANOTHER 10-win team that played for its conference championship the year before...

I agree that rankings are dynamic, that the schedule does lighten down the road, and that at least a couple of these teams won't approach this year what they accomplished in 2012...BUT

In terms of flat-out toughness--I will stack the front end of Purdue's schedule up against anyone in the country.

ndistops
All-Star

Post by ndistops »

PurdueSTL wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:Whoa whoa whoa.....nations toughest schedule? Obviously rankings are dynamic and change, but at the moment, their schedule has 3 top 25 teams, 2 of whom are in the 20s.

Name me another school that will face anything close the following in its first six games:

*a 10-win bowl winner the previous season on its home field for its season opener;
*an 11-win team that played for the National Championship (not very well, to be sure--but still);
*a 10-win conference champion, on its home field for Homecoming, that made the Rose Bowl;
* one more 10-win team, the reigning MAC champion with much of its personnel returning from an historic Orange Bowl season;
* yet ANOTHER 10-win team that played for its conference championship the year before...

I agree that rankings are dynamic, that the schedule does lighten down the road, and that at least a couple of these teams won't approach this year what they accomplished in 2012...BUT

In terms of flat-out toughness--I will stack the front end of Purdue's schedule up against anyone in the country.
Georgia played Clemson, South Carolina and LSU. Their schedule's tougher.

And speaking as a Notre Dame fan, nothing they did last year is relevant. This 2013 team is a mess and will win at most 8 games and probably less.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Just looking at Sagarins rankings which is a computer formula, so take it for what it's worth:

Georgia (Clemson, South Carolina and LSU) is the toughest schedule so far.
Ole miss (Vandy, SEMO, Texas, Alabama) is 2nd.
SMU and FIU are 3 and 4, respectively.
South Carolina (Georgia, Vandy, North CArolina, UCF) is 5
Alabama (Va Tech, aTm, Ole Miss, CO State) is 6.
California (Ohio State, Northwestern, Oregon, Portland State) is 7.

Etc etc etc.

There's a ton of teams that are likely facing just as tough a schedule as Purdue even early on.