2014 Winter Olympics Thread

A forum for non-baseball sports
Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Re: 2014 Winter Olympics Thread

Post by Radbird »

I can't work up any nationalistic emotion for a tournament that is basically a bunch of reswizzled NHL teams.

Oh, and on the women's side, I think our Denver Post columnist is full of [expletive].

U.S. women's hockey loss a noble Olympic choke at Sochi

I guess if you define choking as a puck deflecting off Bellamy and an empty net shot hitting the post, then they choked. Whatever.

Sutter'sBeard
is the oscar meyer weiner kid

Post by Sutter'sBeard »

Radbird wrote:I can't work up any nationalistic emotion for a tournament that is basically a bunch of reswizzled NHL teams.

Oh, and on the women's side, I think our Denver Post columnist is full of [expletive].

U.S. women's hockey loss a noble Olympic choke at Sochi

I guess if you define choking as a puck deflecting off Bellamy and an empty net shot hitting the post, then they choked. Whatever.
Yep, they choked. I like it that a women's team got the blasting that any men's team would have gotten in a similar collapse in a giant game. Basically, giving up 2 goals in three minutes in a gold medal game is akin to blowing a 5 run lead with 2 outs in the bottom of the ninth in the 7th game of the WS.

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Post by jim »

They should have won. Whether you call it choke or not is just semantics. I don't think they choked as in froze up and couldn't perform because of the pressure, but they certainly pissed one away.

Kendall Coyne is the goddaughter of a guy I work with. Saw him at lunch and he was still pretty stunned by it all.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

I think Rad makes some legitimate points. It's not like the American women made some stupid mistakes to lose the game. As Rad said, if their shot goes into the net instead of hitting post, the Americans win the match. If the Canadian shot doesn't ricochet, the Americans win the match. It was just an unfortunate set of circumstances at a very unfortunate time. Personally, I wouldn't call it a choke at all.

Vidor
You've just been hit by...VidorSmarm™

Post by Vidor »

Losing after being up 2-0 with less than 4 min left is totally choking.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

Unless you can give examples of mistakes that they made because of nervousness or tension late in the game, I think "choking" is the wrong terminology.

Semantics? Sure. But if we insist on labeling it, let's label it correctly.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

amish fireplace on NBC's studio set

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Post by jim »

They were winning by 2 late in the game. They lost. This I know.

I am in a philosophical mood after some bourbon and thought I would share that flawless piece of thinking with you all.

In all seriousness they probably should have won but didn't.

You are welcome.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

Vidor wrote:Losing after being up 2-0 with less than 4 min left is totally choking.
Apply that same definition to Game 6 and we won because Texas choked. Twice. Freese and Berkman? Merely the beneficiaries of the Rangers not being able to successfully perform the Heimlich maneuver on themselves.

"Choke" is as overused and misapplied as "clutch".

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

[/youtube]