Michael Sam - NFL's first openly gay prospect

A forum for non-baseball sports
MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Re: Michael Sam - NFL's first openly gay prospect

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

He's about to sign with the Cowboys practice squad.

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

BW23 wrote:How many other 7th rounders got cut? I'm missing those headlines.
You can find plenty of headlines about every draft pick that was cut, but none are as high-profile as Michael Sam for good reason. What is your point?

Arthur Dent
Hall Of Famer

Post by Arthur Dent »

Since I don't follow sports media, has there been a firestorm, as predicted, over the announcement that Sam was cut from the Rams?

fanforever
Retired

Post by fanforever »

IMO He did himself a disservice by coming out. He is not that talented (there's a reason why he was a 7th round pick) He doesn’t play special teams, so there are limited spots...I said thid before...He is a tweener. Also He brings all kinds of distractions that teams don’t want and having said this the only people that seem to have an issue with is the media so it’s a media driven issue that the vast majority of us don’t care about.

This isn’t complicated and it’s not people being prejudiced it’s be isn’t good enough for all the nonsense he brings along with him and also.... do people really believe his sexual orientation is keeping him sidelined? The NFL has drug abusers, guys who have committed domestic abuse, guys who have killed others while driving, alcoholics, and bullies on rosters. What do they have in common? Some talent evaluator felt they could help. Is there a bigger distraction than Richie Incognito? He’s getting another look. I hope Sam finds a spot on Dallas that fits with his particular talent set, but he’s a short DE and a slow LB IMO

Schlich
Don't tone police me bro!

Post by Schlich »

Arthur Dent wrote:Since I don't follow sports media, has there been a firestorm, as predicted, over the announcement that Sam was cut from the Rams?
no

MrSaigon

Post by MrSaigon »

I read he was cut for being lame gay, not homosexual gay. That author needs to apologize to Wanda Sykes.

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

Instead of going to the Cowboys practice squad he should've gone and signed with a CFL team, at least then he would've been getting playing time in actual games.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

I think this story makes it clear why you need to make a big deal out of someone like Sam.

https://www.outsports.com/2017/6/20/158 ... ity-chiefs
The two men talked more and Pioli assured O’Callaghan that their conversation changed nothing, he was still there to support him, and they were still friends. O’Callaghan was shocked by the reaction. Pioli handled it pitch-perfectly, as though he had known all along. So O’Callaghan asked if his boss had, in fact, known.

"Ryan, how would I have known?" Pioli responded.

"Do you really think I like coffee that much?" O’Callaghan asked.

Pioli had no idea what his player was talking about.

O’Callaghan had, since his time in New England, headed to the training room after every practice to consume copious amounts of coffee, a convenient excuse to avoid being in the showers with the rest of his teammates.

Pioli got emotional at the thought of one of his players having to go to those lengths to keep some distance from his teammates. The mental toll this had all taken on O’Callaghan had come into focus.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

That was a great read. Thanks for posting that.