Michael
GRB Founder

Re: Michael Sam - NFL's first openly gay prospect

Post by Michael »

Schlich
Don't tone police me bro!

Post by Schlich »

It’s amazing what lengths we’ll take to claim our beliefs are pro-equality.

Segregation was the “separate but equal” answer to slavery and racism.

Complimentarianism was/is the “equal but we have different gender roles” answer to the patriarchy.

Queer celibacy and civil unions are the “gay people are equal but just can’t act on their feelings” answer to homophobia.

Interestingly enough, despite these claims, segregation is still racism, complimentarianism is still sexism, and queer celibacy is still homophobia. To claim that any of these views could possibly treat people of color, women, and queer people as equal is staggering.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

Schlich wrote:It’s amazing what lengths we’ll take to claim our beliefs are pro-equality.

Segregation was the “separate but equal” answer to slavery and racism.

Complimentarianism was/is the “equal but we have different gender roles” answer to the patriarchy.

Queer celibacy and civil unions are the “gay people are equal but just can’t act on their feelings” answer to homophobia.

Interestingly enough, despite these claims, segregation is still racism, complimentarianism is still sexism, and queer celibacy is still homophobia. To claim that any of these views could possibly treat people of color, women, and queer people as equal is staggering.
I disagree. Why can't gay people act on their feelings?

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Did corncob say that Dan Savage married a woman a few pages back or did I misread?

cardsfansince82
is shooing asian children away from his fridge.

Post by cardsfansince82 »

lukethedrifter wrote:Did corncob say that Dan Savage married a woman a few pages back or did I misread?
Yeah, that happened. And somehow it wasn't the least factual part of the post.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

cardsfansince82 wrote:
lukethedrifter wrote:Did corncob say that Dan Savage married a woman a few pages back or did I misread?
Yeah, that happened. And somehow it wasn't the least factual part of the post.

Correction - he applied for a marriage license, but didn't follow through with the marriage.

It's mostly irrelevant anyway, though.

MrSaigon

Post by MrSaigon »

So, maybe it's different locally, and I'm not especially well-tuned--most especially for football--but I'm not hearing a damn thing about Sam.

Tambourine Man
accepts no jimitators

Post by Tambourine Man »

And neither is St. Louis.

docellis
America's Most Beloved Twitter Joke Thief

Post by docellis »

Not much locally either.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

Jocephus wrote:Franken Takes Down Anti-Gay Witness For Mischaracterizing Study

i dont claim to be a scholar but this is fascinating to me that this could be considered legitimate research.
Limitations of the Study

While the Regnerus study is a vast improvement over virtually all the prior research in the field, it still leaves much to study and learn about homosexual parents and their effect on children. Author Mark Regnerus emphasizes the traditional caveat in social science, warning against leaping to conclusions regarding "causality." In other words, just because there are statistical correlations between having a homosexual parent and experiencing negative outcomes does not automatically prove that having a homosexual parent is what caused the negative outcomes--other factors could be at work.

This is true in a strict scientific sense--but because Regnerus carefully controlled for so many other factors in the social environment, the study gives a clear indication that it is this parental characteristic which best defines the household environment that produces these troubling outcomes. The large number of significant negative outcomes in this study gives legitimate reason for concern about the consequences of "homosexual parenting."
(fyi the italic is how the article is written)

"the traditional caveat". i love how it says that, like a disclaimer or legal obligation. but then the next paragraph just bull [expletive] its way thru that and says "but this is actually what does it"
I didn't read that whole study or anything but it seems like it would be extremely hard to do a study. First off, since gay couples can only adopt, that means they are getting kids that often come from difficult situations. Even if you only compare gay couples that adopt vs straight couples that adopt, there are so many other factors that could mess it up. For example, do gay parents have the same socio-economic status as straight parents? I doubt it. So you'd only really be able to look at a subset of straight couples.

And even if you go through all that and find there is some kind of difference, why is this a problem? The alternative for most of these kids is no parents, which is worse than having gay parents.