Michael Sam - NFL's first openly gay prospect

A forum for non-baseball sports
pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Re: Michael Sam - NFL's first openly gay prospect

Post by pioneer98 »

Socnorb11 wrote:
Schlich wrote:It’s amazing what lengths we’ll take to claim our beliefs are pro-equality.

Segregation was the “separate but equal” answer to slavery and racism.

Complimentarianism was/is the “equal but we have different gender roles” answer to the patriarchy.

Queer celibacy and civil unions are the “gay people are equal but just can’t act on their feelings” answer to homophobia.

Interestingly enough, despite these claims, segregation is still racism, complimentarianism is still sexism, and queer celibacy is still homophobia. To claim that any of these views could possibly treat people of color, women, and queer people as equal is staggering.
I disagree. Why can't gay people act on their feelings?
It's really not about whether they can act on their feelings. What all of these things are really about is keeping the social hierarchy in tact. "Separate but equal" was just a way for whites to keep down blacks. You can say the same thing about all the others listed, too, to a more or lesser extent.

It's real easy to forget that these problems exist. It's kind of like how so many people were surprised when #yesallwomen came along and gave them a glimpse into the current reality. Some of it caught me off guard, too. It shows that not only do these problems still exist, but also that lots of people are totally unaware of them.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

I think we will start to hear stuff as preseason games transpire. I am sure football people and knowledgeable beat writers like Jim Thomas are forming opinions on Sam already but don't have a reason to air it and deal with BS.
The football tape studiers know, but have no public highlights they can point to. My guess is that he is lukewarm in camp. If he was kicking ass someone may have early chirped on it.

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

pioneer98 wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote:
Schlich wrote:It’s amazing what lengths we’ll take to claim our beliefs are pro-equality.

Segregation was the “separate but equal” answer to slavery and racism.

Complimentarianism was/is the “equal but we have different gender roles” answer to the patriarchy.

Queer celibacy and civil unions are the “gay people are equal but just can’t act on their feelings” answer to homophobia.

Interestingly enough, despite these claims, segregation is still racism, complimentarianism is still sexism, and queer celibacy is still homophobia. To claim that any of these views could possibly treat people of color, women, and queer people as equal is staggering.
I disagree. Why can't gay people act on their feelings?
It's really not about whether they can act on their feelings. What all of these things are really about is keeping the social hierarchy in tact. "Separate but equal" was just a way for whites to keep down blacks. You can say the same thing about all the others listed, too, to a more or lesser extent.

It's real easy to forget that these problems exist. It's kind of like how so many people were surprised when #yesallwomen came along and gave them a glimpse into the current reality. Some of it caught me off guard, too. It shows that not only do these problems still exist, but also that lots of people are totally unaware of them.
Acting on feelings is more a religious commentary I think.

Anyway, like you're saying, it's simply civil rights. I like the phrase and overuse it, but everyone needs to get on the right side of history.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

Which civil rights are we talking about, specifically?

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Sam has played pretty well tonight.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

This is a good article about what Sam has been dealing with since the draft.
http://deadspin.com/sam-agonistes-a-gay ... 1626668620

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Cut from Rams.

fanforever
Retired

Post by fanforever »

The Associated Press ✔ @AP

BREAKING: Michael Sam, first openly gay player drafted by NFL team, released by St. Louis Rams.

BW23
Hall Of Famer

Post by BW23 »

How many other 7th rounders got cut? I'm missing those headlines.