2014 NFL Draft

A forum for non-baseball sports
mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

2014 NFL Draft

Post by mikechamp »

Thought I would start this for all discussions pertaining to the upcoming draft. The irony of me starting this thread is that I'm not a big football fan. However, I really enjoy the strategy of the draft.

Rams - What is their single biggest need? Do they take a QB with one of their 1st round picks? Do they trade down from #2? Do they trade up from #13? Does it really make sense for them to draft Clowney at #2, when the D-line seems to be a strength?

Texans - Which QB do they take at #1?

The floor is open.

stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother

Re: 2014 NFL Draft

Post by stlouie_lipp »

They've pushed it too far back. They should have kept it in April.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

I can't say I know the talents very well, and how it translates to NFL. But if they think Clowney is worthy of the hype - then they should get him, rather than trading down. Even though Quinn/Long were pretty good last year, you can't have enough impact players on defense.

ntexascardfan
AAA Minor League Player

Post by ntexascardfan »

Clowney's 40 time super imposed over De'Anthony Thomas' 40.

If I'm Houston, I take Clowney and hope he lives up to expectations. Putting him on the opposite end of JJ Watt is a nasty thought.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

If Clowney is there at the 2nd pick and the Rams don't take him, I will be disappointed (barring another team offering up the moon for that pick). But the closer we get to draft day, the more I think Houston takes him.

If we can't/don't trade back, I'd take Auburn's Greg Robinson. Physical freak who's also got a good game tape to go with it. He can play guard if Jake Long is healthy, tackle if he isn't.

I don't want Sammy Watkins at 2. I think he's a good receiver, but he's not in that same class of Fitzgerald/Andre Johnson/AJ Green or Julio Jones of WRs who go that high. I could be okay with it on a trade back depending on who's left.

13th pick I have no idea. But my gut says we don't stay there: either trade up for another difference maker or down for extra picks.

ntexascardfan
AAA Minor League Player

Post by ntexascardfan »

Fisher doesn't have a strong history of drafting tackles in the first round.

If Clowney is off the board I wouldn't be surprised to see the Rams go with Khalil Mack at #2.

After that you can see if someone like Michigan's Taylor Lewan falls to 13 or maybe reach a bit for Notre Dame's Zack Martin.

Lewan has great feet in pass pro, if he can start bringing it a bit more in the run game he could be really special.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

stlouie_lipp wrote:They've pushed it too far back. They should have kept it in April.
Agreed.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

ntexascardfan wrote:After that you can see if someone like Michigan's Taylor Lewan falls to 13 or maybe reach a bit for Notre Dame's Zack Martin.

Lewan has great feet in pass pro, if he can start bringing it a bit more in the run game he could be really special.
If my team had a 1-15 pick in the draft and the decision were up to me, I wouldn't want to hear the words "if" or "could" used in describing any player.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

ntexascardfan wrote:Fisher doesn't have a strong history of drafting tackles in the first round.

If Clowney is off the board I wouldn't be surprised to see the Rams go with Khalil Mack at #2.

After that you can see if someone like Michigan's Taylor Lewan falls to 13 or maybe reach a bit for Notre Dame's Zack Martin.

You may be right about Mack, and I'd be okay with that. But if that's the case, then the Rams should take JL off the field more, and I'm not sure they'll actually do that.

I'm not sure Lewan makes it to 13 either. I think if we keep the pick, I'd like to get Darqueze Dennard. It's maybe a little higher than where he'd go, but he's a perfect fit for our physical coverage.

ntexascardfan
AAA Minor League Player

Post by ntexascardfan »

mikechamp wrote:
ntexascardfan wrote:After that you can see if someone like Michigan's Taylor Lewan falls to 13 or maybe reach a bit for Notre Dame's Zack Martin.

If my team had a 1-15 pick in the draft and the decision were up to me, I wouldn't want to hear the words "if" or "could" used in describing any player.
Then hopefully you root for a team that doesn't often pick in the top half of the draft. Very seldom is there a player that doesn't come with a caveat.