Horseracing (was: The Belmont Stakes)

A forum for non-baseball sports
Secret Weapon
Perennial All-Star

Re: Horseracing (was: The Belmont Stakes)

Post by Secret Weapon »

Horse racing is fun until you see the owners and trainers families after the win and they look like everything that is wrong with America.

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

Secret Weapon wrote:Horse racing is fun until you see the owners and trainers families after the win and they look like everything that is wrong with America.
Is it wrong that I would have preferred the horse be named American President and the owner be from Tulsa, OK?

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Horseracing is so weird sometimes. Espinoza had to ride the [expletive] out of him to win the KY Derby. However, in the Belmont, Preakness, and going back to the AR Derby, he never had to whip him. Cool to see a TC winner

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

American Pharoah wins the Haskell Stakes easily

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

http://beta.dallasnews.com/news/crime/2 ... -star-park
At least five winning racehorses have been disqualified from races at Lone Star Park in Grand Prairie this year after testing positive for trace amounts of meth, according to Texas Racing Commission officials.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

Man, went to the horse races today and saw a horse break its leg. That [expletive] never good. 2 jockeys got thrown (obviously the one from the horse that broke a leg and then another horse had to jump over that one) and one was pretty shaken up and then of course they euthanize the horse. Kind of made me think about going to the track which we do about once a year. And, I don't know if this is a rationalization or just common sense, but those horses wouldn't have ever been alive if it weren't for the track. They're bred to race/aka make money. If the money wasn't there, they wouldn't be bred and they're treated pretty damn well while they're alive. A quick death and to be treated with respect is pretty much all any of us can ask for. On the other hand, eeeeeesh, it's tough to watch.

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:Man, went to the horse races today and saw a horse break its leg. That [expletive] never good. 2 jockeys got thrown (obviously the one from the horse that broke a leg and then another horse had to jump over that one) and one was pretty shaken up and then of course they euthanize the horse. Kind of made me think about going to the track which we do about once a year. And, I don't know if this is a rationalization or just common sense, but those horses wouldn't have ever been alive if it weren't for the track. They're bred to race/aka make money. If the money wasn't there, they wouldn't be bred and they're treated pretty damn well while they're alive. A quick death and to be treated with respect is pretty much all any of us can ask for. On the other hand, eeeeeesh, it's tough to watch.
Mrs. Swirls has a love/hate relationship with horse races. She's a horse lover and has been riding for over 20 years. She's been to a track once to see a race - and saw one break its leg and get put down. She'll never go again.
Last edited by Swirls on April 14 17, 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:Man, went to the horse races today and saw a horse break its leg. That [expletive] never good. 2 jockeys got thrown (obviously the one from the horse that broke a leg and then another horse had to jump over that one) and one was pretty shaken up and then of course they euthanize the horse. Kind of made me think about going to the track which we do about once a year. And, I don't know if this is a rationalization or just common sense, but those horses wouldn't have ever been alive if it weren't for the track. They're bred to race/aka make money. If the money wasn't there, they wouldn't be bred and they're treated pretty damn well while they're alive. A quick death and to be treated with respect is pretty much all any of us can ask for. On the other hand, eeeeeesh, it's tough to watch.
Oaklawn?

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

yEAH.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

Arkansas Derby this weekend. The favorite, classic empire, is a horse that apparently refused to train, had a foot issue and a back issue. Had a big year last year though.

Here's a video

Next is Malagacy who won the Rebel a month ago or so at the same track they're running the Arkansas Derby.

Here's that video.