Australian Cricket player dies

A forum for non-baseball sports
Dillagii
Perennial All-Star

Australian Cricket player dies

Post by Dillagii »

Australian cricket player dies after hitting ball on his head while batting. He was just 25. Absolute shocker for the cricketing world. Very sad day for Cricket.

http://sports.ndtv.com/article/233691

DownUnderDon
Fringe Major League Player

Re: Australian Cricket player dies

Post by DownUnderDon »

It's come as a huge shock here because serious injuries have become so unusual in the last 30 years since helmets were introduced. Even before then deaths were almost unheard of, guys got fractured skulls & broken jaws, but nobody died. Beacuse hitting the batter is a legitimate tactic (as long as the ball bounces first), batsmen get good at picking which deliveries to duck & which ones to try to hit.

Hughes was a top level player who had been in & out of the national team. His slightly unorthodox technique made him vulnerable to top shelf bowling, but he was on the cusp of being recalled to the Australian squad for the upcoming season.

Lots of sympathy for the bowler who hit him. Hostile, aggressive fast bowling is a major attraction of cricket & the protective gear the batter wears reflects the potential risks. Despite the sometimes sedate appearance, it is a game with some dangers, but nobody expects to kill or be killed.

RIP Mate.

DownUnderDon

Post by DownUnderDon »

HM Queen Elizabeth sent a private message of condolence to the family.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/cricket/qu ... 7138989145

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

Wow, that is shocking!

Over the past 3 months, I've started watching a little cricket, as I get a channel that airs matches 24 hours a day. It's been an interesting learning experience for me. Is the ball they use harder than a baseball?

DownUnderDon

Post by DownUnderDon »

Yeah, because each ball is meant to last for several hours of play they are glazed & the leather is treated to be especially resilient. They usually get knocked out of shape before they start to fall apart. As you can see, they are roughly the same size & weigh about the same, although my baseball is made of synthetic leather which may make a difference.

I think helmet design is going to come under the most scrutiny. The current models leave the base of the skull exposed, unlike baseball helmets which give better coverage at the back of the head. It's been a compromise between protection & comfort until now.