2015-2016 Blues (Hockey) Season

A forum for non-baseball sports
jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Re: 2015-2016 Blues (Hockey) Season

Post by jim »

I guess I'm just realizing how much more popular the NBA is than the NHL. The news coverage, major channels carrying the games, people talking about it.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

jim wrote:I guess I'm just realizing how much more popular the NBA is than the NHL. The news coverage, major channels carrying the games, people talking about it.
ESPN is a big part of that. They used to carry games, and they did good on ratings... not great but good. They lost out on the TV rights, and more or less ignored the league.

Coupled with some stupid decisions at the top by the NHL and good decisions at the top by the NBA and you see how it happens.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

So is Las Vegas getting a hockey team?

cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardinalkarp »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:So is Las Vegas getting a hockey team?
I think there are a few more things to tie up and finalize the deal, but it's a pretty much guarantee.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

cardinalkarp wrote:
I think there are a few more things to tie up and finalize the deal, but it's a pretty much guarantee.
Where do the players come from?

cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardinalkarp »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
cardinalkarp wrote:
That's a good f'ing question...lol

I'm guessing there would be some type of expansion draft, but I'm not exactly sure how those things work.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

This probably doesn't answer all the questions we have about the expansion process, but it's a pretty good read and offers a good bit of info.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/spo ... ion-draft/

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

cardinalkarp wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
cardinalkarp wrote:
That's a good f'ing question...lol

I'm guessing there would be some type of expansion draft, but I'm not exactly sure how those things work.
Yes, there will be an expansion draft, and at least compared to previous expansion drafts, the Vegas franchise has a chance to be pretty decent.

What I know about it:

- Each team can protect 7 forwards, 3 defensemen, and 1 goalie OR any 8 skaters and 1 goalie.
- Players in their 1st or 2nd year of pro hockey at any level are automatically protected and don't have to be designated as such.
- The Vegas franchise will pick one player from each existing franchise, no more, no less.
- The Vegas franchise will have to spend between 60-100% of the salary cap.
- Per Deadspin, each franchise will have to expose at least two forwards and one defensemen who played 40+ NHL games in the previous season, or a combined 70 in the previous two.
- Of course, players who have no movement clauses will have to have those clauses honored if the player chooses.

The new franchise may not get any stars (well, maybe a goalie for a team like Tampa that has Bishop/Vasilevsky or Pittsburgh which may have to expose Murray), but they'll likely get a lot of second and third line caliber players.

Just supposing for the Blues, at this point in time and figuring on who likely is and isn't a free agent by then, their protected list would probably look like:

- Tarasenko
- Schwartz
- Fabbri
- Steen
- Stastny
- Barbashev
- Lehtera (maybe, I struggled with the 7th)

- Petro
- Parayko
- Bouwmeester (or they could try and expose him and protect Gunnarsson)

- Allen

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

We would definately be exposing JayBo. We'd love to shed that contract at this point.

Allen or Moose would be a high risk of being taken, whoever we left unprotected.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

I think Elliott would be a free agent by that point, which is why I picked Allen. Obviously if they re-sign him, it gets murkier.