Why former 49er Borland is the most dangerous man in footbal

A forum for non-baseball sports
MrSaigon

Re: Why former 49er Borland is the most dangerous man in foo

Post by MrSaigon »

I'm not all that disgusted by this, especially if the 'don't do dumb [expletive], and 'how to put stupid [expletive] prevention systems in place' notes were hit hard elsewhere. Men in their twenties are going to do dumb [expletive]. I feel like not saying this would also be bad, like refusing to give condoms because abstinence is best.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

I don't agree. First, did you see how uncomfortable Bridgewater looked? Second, 'grow the [expletive] up or you risk losing a very good thing' would have been more appropriate.

BW23
Hall Of Famer

Post by BW23 »

I'm starting to struggle with whether or not to allow my son to play football. He's only in third grade, but he'll be expected to play because of his size/speed. I'm allowing him to play flag football now (for this year and next) while other parents are taking their kids to a neighboring town where they can play tackle ball. Fifth grade would be the year where he'd first be allowed to play, but I just don't know.

I've witnessed kids over the years sustain concussions playing other sports. I know of a kid that had to give up competitive soccer after a serious concussion in high school. I know another that had to quit college basketball after a series of concussions, the first while a junior in high school. My son has a desire to be a catcher, and we know that's by far the most likely position to get a concussion in baseball.

He has a chance to be good at football, but I just don't know if I can send him out there.

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

BW23 wrote:I've witnessed kids over the years sustain concussions playing other sports. I know of a kid that had to give up competitive soccer after a serious concussion in high school. I know another that had to quit college basketball after a series of concussions, the first while a junior in high school. My son has a desire to be a catcher, and we know that's by far the most likely position to get a concussion in baseball.
I remember hearing that soccer (girls in particular) was something like 3rd among major sports in concussion rates behind the obvious ones -- football and hockey.

Here... I looked it up. http://www.headcasecompany.com/concussi ... ons_sports
Football: 64 -76.8
Boys' ice hockey: 54
Girl's soccer: 33
Boys' lacrosse: 40 - 46.6
Girls' lacrosse: 31 - 35
Boys' soccer: 19 - 19.2
Boys' wrestling: 22 - 23.9
Girls' basketball: 18.6 - 21
Girls' softball: 16 - 16.3
Boys' basketball: 16 - 21.2
Girls' field hockey: 22 - 24.9
Cheerleading: 11.5 to 14
Girls' volleyball: 6 - 8.6
Boys' baseball: Between 4.6 - 5
Girls' gymnastics: 7

Looks like if you're concerned about concussions then you should push your kid toward golf or tennis. I think basketball and baseball are probably the safest team sports.

MrSaigon

Post by MrSaigon »

There are pushes to remove headers from youth soccer. Probably won't help our national team, but would lower those numbers significantly, presumably.

Or if not concussions, sub-concussive incidents and CTE risk.

BW23
Hall Of Famer

Post by BW23 »

Fat Strat wrote:
BW23 wrote:I've witnessed kids over the years sustain concussions playing other sports. I know of a kid that had to give up competitive soccer after a serious concussion in high school. I know another that had to quit college basketball after a series of concussions, the first while a junior in high school. My son has a desire to be a catcher, and we know that's by far the most likely position to get a concussion in baseball.
I remember hearing that soccer (girls in particular) was something like 3rd among major sports in concussion rates behind the obvious ones -- football and hockey.

Here... I looked it up. http://www.headcasecompany.com/concussi ... ons_sports
Football: 64 -76.8
Boys' ice hockey: 54
Girl's soccer: 33
Boys' lacrosse: 40 - 46.6
Girls' lacrosse: 31 - 35
Boys' soccer: 19 - 19.2
Boys' wrestling: 22 - 23.9
Girls' basketball: 18.6 - 21
Girls' softball: 16 - 16.3
Boys' basketball: 16 - 21.2
Girls' field hockey: 22 - 24.9
Cheerleading: 11.5 to 14
Girls' volleyball: 6 - 8.6
Boys' baseball: Between 4.6 - 5
Girls' gymnastics: 7

Looks like if you're concerned about concussions then you should push your kid toward golf or tennis. I think basketball and baseball are probably the safest team sports.
Knowing my son, he'd hit himself in the head with a racket or crash his golf cart and still end up with one!

Seriously, thanks for those stats. The basketball one I referenced was a kid that was a coach's son, the typical gym rat, who would dive after every loose ball and do whatever it took for the extra something. It was diving for loose balls (and in the process being landed on by much bigger guys) that led to concussions. The first one was against a guy in the NBA now making mega millions, and they're good buddies, so maybe he'll help him out! Doubt it.

The soccer kid was tripped and his head kicked while on the ground. He was a junior, IIRC, in high school, and gave up soccer and basketball the rest of his HS career. It was over a year before fully cleared, which seemed odd, but he's doing great now.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

MrSaigon wrote:I'm not all that disgusted by this, especially if the 'don't do dumb [expletive], and 'how to put stupid [expletive] prevention systems in place' notes were hit hard elsewhere. Men in their twenties are going to do dumb [expletive]. I feel like not saying this would also be bad, like refusing to give condoms because abstinence is best.
This was "training" put on by the NFL, so it appears this is their official position. Just to be clear, their position is: have a friend who will confess to crimes you commit (because we know you will!), and we will get him out of jail.

It also makes you wonder what their official position is on a lot of other things that wasn't in the training video.

Felix The Cat
Perennial All-Star

Post by Felix The Cat »

pioneer98 wrote:More on the bit about "get yourself a fall guy" has come to light, with video!

Cris Carter told NFL rookies to get 'fall guy' for when they get in legal trouble
According to Borland, someone at his NFL rookie symposium encouraged he and the other rookies to get a "fall guy," basically someone to take the heat if they got in trouble with the law. Not that Borland would lie, but it seemed unbelievable that someone would actually tell NFL rookies to do that at the symposium.

Oh, someone did tell them to do just that. While wearing his Pro Football Hall of Fame jacket: Former NFL receiver Cris Carter.

BroBible.com did a great job to find the video from the symposium, which was displayed on the NFL's website. The video was titled "Rookies learn life lessons from Sapp and Carter." The NFL took it down on Sunday morning but there were versions on the Internet, including some on YouTube.
I'm not shocked this speech was given to new players. I'm shocked the NFL would put video evidence of this on their official site for public consumption. But given all their [expletive] ups in the past few years, maybe I shouldn't be.

MrSaigon

Post by MrSaigon »

pioneer98 wrote:
MrSaigon wrote:I'm not all that disgusted by this, especially if the 'don't do dumb [expletive], and 'how to put stupid [expletive] prevention systems in place' notes were hit hard elsewhere. Men in their twenties are going to do dumb [expletive]. I feel like not saying this would also be bad, like refusing to give condoms because abstinence is best.
This was "training" put on by the NFL, so it appears this is their official position. Just to be clear, their position is: have a friend who will confess to crimes you commit (because we know you will!), and we will get him out of jail.

It also makes you wonder what their official position is on a lot of other things that wasn't in the training video.
Sure. I guess what I mean to say is that there is value in the sentiment. The where and how of the delivery is all wrong here. Someone else gets the DUI, carries the drugs, cops to the things in your closet, etc.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

BW23 wrote:The basketball one I referenced was a kid that was a coach's son, the typical gym rat, who would dive after every loose ball and do whatever it took for the extra something. It was diving for loose balls (and in the process being landed on by much bigger guys) that led to concussions. The first one was against a guy in the NBA now making mega millions, and they're good buddies, so maybe he'll help him out! Doubt it.
Don't be too sure - I bet he needs a fall guy.