RIP Slide Pickem Week 8

A forum for non-baseball sports
cardsfansince82
is shooing asian children away from his fridge.

Re: RIP Slide Pickem Week 8

Post by cardsfansince82 »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:I know Utah has surpassed expectations this year while USC has kind of had a weird year, and the rankings are just an instantaneous reflection of that. But, I wonder when was the last time the #3 team in the land was a 3.5 point underdog when going up against an unranked opponent.
It does seem strange. And, it's not like Utah has beat a bunch of nobodies.
You have to remember that betting lines aren't necessarily intended to be true odds. They are intended to encourage action on both sides. Every weekend Vegas fills up with people from SoCal, so teams like USC and the Lakers always get a bunch of action no matter what. The true spread of that game might be Utah -3 but to make sure they don't get killed they make it USC -3.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

cardsfansince82 wrote:
MrCrowesGarden wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:I know Utah has surpassed expectations this year while USC has kind of had a weird year, and the rankings are just an instantaneous reflection of that. But, I wonder when was the last time the #3 team in the land was a 3.5 point underdog when going up against an unranked opponent.
It does seem strange. And, it's not like Utah has beat a bunch of nobodies.
You have to remember that betting lines aren't necessarily intended to be true odds. They are intended to encourage action on both sides. Every weekend Vegas fills up with people from SoCal, so teams like USC and the Lakers always get a bunch of action no matter what. The true spread of that game might be Utah -3 but to make sure they don't get killed they make it USC -3.
Vegas doesn't get a bunch of people from Utah?

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

Winners:

#25 Pitt
Northwestern
Arkansas 11:00 am SECN
Wisconsin
Alabama
#17 Oklahoma
Wash St
24 Ole Miss
USC

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

I can't believe USC just manhandled Utah and how did AZ lose to Wash State. Whatever, here are the results.

7-2: BigDcardlover, letsgocards89
6-3: Mrcrowesgarden, swirls, aw, 82
5-4: obu, joe, dill, ndistops

And here is the overall. A couple questions about forgetting weeks and all that stuff. Here are the results with the % of games picked to date off to the right. I think in the past, about 80% of games had to be picked, and all the bowl games had to be picked. Just thinking aloud here, there are what 5 more weeks of football + conf. championships + bowls. Should be about 100ish more games. Plenty of time left. Anyway.