2016 NBA Off-Season

A forum for non-baseball sports
BW23
Hall Of Famer

Re: 2016 NBA Off-Season

Post by BW23 »

Then by your definition, the Warriors aren't a super team. They don't have 2 or 3 of the best players in the league flocking to one team. You have one player doing that. The rest of the team was built through the draft. Curry (7th), Thompson (11th) and Green (35th) are players the Warriors drafted, and they've developed into a great team.

The finances of the game of have changed so much, and there's really no comparison in comparing players from 30 years ago to now. Of course Magic and Bird didn't leave their teams. They had 3-4 HOF players playing with them, and they knew those teams would be set for a long time. Not sure that Drexler, Barkley and Dr. J really fit into your narrative. Doc came into the league under extremely different circumstances, and his choices were limited. Drexler did ask to be dealt to a contender. Barkley got traded to a contender when he started being a pain in Philly as they lost.

IMO, KD saw a situation where the team kept dealing off their third best player (first Harden then Ibaka). Westbrook likely wasn't going to stay either. It's like KD is being crucified for leaving a situation altogether, although some say they'd been fine if he had just gone anywhere else, which is more crazy than any other complaint. KD didn't have fun in OKC. He got along with Westbrook, but he also got frustrated with him at times. And frustrated with the situation. I think going to GS was more about having fun and being happy than winning.

But no matter the reason, I'm not going to find fault with it. Like I said, it's far less egregious than what LBJ has done. Twice. And nobody really cares about that at all anymore.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

Drexler didn't ask to be traded to a contender during the prime of his career, which was what I stated in my post.

I hated Lebron going to Miami, and I said so on this forum.

KD went to GS to win jewelry. Don't kid yourself. That's fine. As I said, he didn't break any rules. It simply tells me something about his competitive spirit.

BW23
Hall Of Famer

Post by BW23 »

Okay. He should have just stayed in OKC and been miserable. Because that makes sense.

MrSaigon

Post by MrSaigon »

Did the Thunder just sign Westbrook, or Ingram, Russell and a first?

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

Does anybody know a good NBA blog? I have ESPN Insider and it's pretty good, and I like the analytical content at 538.

I might be asking for the impossible, but I'm looking for
--Analytically hip but not a dry numbers-only blog
--A sense of humor and a personality
--Not fan- or team-based, ie not a Bulls blog where every issue is (single team) or how it impacts (single team)
--As interested in the character and story of the league as it is analytics.

I can't seem to find one, and I've been trying for a while. Basically, I miss FreeDarko.

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

33anda3rd wrote:Does anybody know a good NBA blog? I have ESPN Insider and it's pretty good, and I like the analytical content at 538.

I might be asking for the impossible, but I'm looking for
--Analytically hip but not a dry numbers-only blog
--A sense of humor and a personality
--Not fan- or team-based, ie not a Bulls blog where every issue is (single team) or how it impacts (single team)
--As interested in the character and story of the league as it is analytics.

I can't seem to find one, and I've been trying for a while. Basically, I miss FreeDarko.
Probably too numbers-y but worth a look
http://nyloncalculus.com/

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Ball Don't Lie.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

Thanks for the recs, I think I prefer Nylon Calculus to Ball Don't Lie.

This breakdown of retiring stars is pretty great.