2016 College Football Season

A forum for non-baseball sports
AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Re: 2016 College Football Season

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Seems like a good get for them. Been driving in Oklahoma and....wooooo are some of the teams they the fans are saying the big 12 should get are real doozies. Heard: fsu and Clemson, AZ and Az state, byu and Utah (not bad actually), Nebraska uh huh, usc, Penn state, etc.

The big 12 has decently strong teams in some major sports but not deal and no real appeal at this point and no money bc no tv deal other than Texas...who runs the conference from my understanding. Why would anyone be lured from a coherent conference with a tv deal and a conference championship game in football to the big 12? I wish them well and like a few of the teams but come on. They're not offering from a position of strength. They need more teams more than most established teams need them and that's why Houston and cincy make sense.

Gashouse
Perennial All-Star

Post by Gashouse »

I'm not a big fan of all the realignment in the first place. So, if the Big 10 could get a replacement for Nebraska (cough Notre Dame cough) then the sentimental side of me would like to see Nebraska and Missouri rejoin the Big 12. It will never happen.

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

Gashouse wrote:So the Big 12 wants to expand in time for the 2017 season. I bet it will be Houston and Cincy.
I'll bet it ain't Houston. The rest of the schools don't want the recruiting competition. I bet it is Cincy and then BYU in football only.

JL21
NPR & THT Contributor

Post by JL21 »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:Seems like a good get for them. Been driving in Oklahoma and....wooooo are some of the teams they the fans are saying the big 12 should get are real doozies. Heard: fsu and Clemson, AZ and Az state, byu and Utah (not bad actually), Nebraska uh huh, usc, Penn state, etc.

The big 12 has decently strong teams in some major sports but not deal and no real appeal at this point and no money bc no tv deal other than Texas...who runs the conference from my understanding. Why would anyone be lured from a coherent conference with a tv deal and a conference championship game in football to the big 12? I wish them well and like a few of the teams but come on. They're not offering from a position of strength. They need more teams more than most established teams need them and that's why Houston and cincy make sense.
Yeah, until LHN shares revenue or they can fold it into a larger network, they're going to have to accept mid-major program additions. Utah has the Pac 12 network and money, as do the Arizona schools. Forget about Nebraska, USC, Penn St. Technically FSU and Clemson don't have that huge TV money but they're on really firm ground where they are.

UT has really pissed in the pool and made the Big XII an undesirable destination for any power conference schools.

So Cincinnati, BYU, Houston... those are exactly what they can expect.

cardsfansince82
is shooing asian children away from his fridge.

Post by cardsfansince82 »

Mizzou losing Brantley and Brady is a huge kick in the balls. Having an outstanding D is their only shot at a good record.

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

JL21 wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:Seems like a good get for them. Been driving in Oklahoma and....wooooo are some of the teams they the fans are saying the big 12 should get are real doozies. Heard: fsu and Clemson, AZ and Az state, byu and Utah (not bad actually), Nebraska uh huh, usc, Penn state, etc.

Yeah, until LHN shares revenue or they can fold it into a larger network, they're going to have to accept mid-major program additions.
Bingo.

stormspencer
Veteran Player

Post by stormspencer »

Tim wrote:
Gashouse wrote:So the Big 12 wants to expand in time for the 2017 season. I bet it will be Houston and Cincy.
I'll bet it ain't Houston. The rest of the schools don't want the recruiting competition. I bet it is Cincy and then BYU in football only.
I think you're right on track here. As someone else mentioned, the northern Big 12 schools don't want Houston in the conference. I believe BYU and Cincy are, likely, the leading candidates at this point.

I've copied an interesting article promoting UCONN for the Big 12. It doesn't make any geographical sense, but the writer brings up some interesting points: http://newsok.com/article/5514715

As a lifelong OU fan and alum, I want to get the hell out of this dying conference ASAP.

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

stormspencer wrote:
Tim wrote:
I think you're right on track here. As someone else mentioned, the northern Big 12 schools don't want Houston in the conference. I believe BYU and Cincy are, likely, the leading candidates at this point.

I've copied an interesting article promoting UCONN for the Big 12. It doesn't make any geographical sense, but the writer brings up some interesting points: http://newsok.com/article/5514715

As a lifelong OU fan and alum, I want to get the hell out of this dying conference ASAP.
I really can't believe how the BIG 12 has let the Longhorns hold them hostage.
As a Razorback fan, I hate having aTm in the SEC. It was a lot cooler when we could go into DFW or Houston and offer a kid and say "If you wanna come to the SEC, come with us." Now aTm has that option too. I really think it has killed our recruiting in Texas. Bielema seems more interested in recruiting Florida and Louisiana. I don't like it.

stormspencer
Veteran Player

Post by stormspencer »

Tim wrote:
stormspencer wrote:
Tim wrote:

I really can't believe how the BIG 12 has let the Longhorns hold them hostage.
As a Razorback fan, I hate having aTm in the SEC. It was a lot cooler when we could go into DFW or Houston and offer a kid and say "If you wanna come to the SEC, come with us." Now aTm has that option too. I really think it has killed our recruiting in Texas. Bielema seems more interested in recruiting Florida and Louisiana. I don't like it.
I would love for OU to bolt for the SEC, but unfortunately I just don't see it happening anytime soon. Also, it has been intimated that OU and Texas have somewhat of a gentlemen's business agreement between the administrations. Unless Texas heads to the Big 10 (which has refused to even consider OU) or goes independent, I think OU/Texas likely go to a new conference as a package.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

From what I have heard, OU and Texas are a package. Agreed.