2016 Olympics-Rio

A forum for non-baseball sports
Socnorb11
The Last Word

Re: 2016 Olympics-Rio

Post by Socnorb11 »

ghostrunner wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote:Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Lochte's mom said they were in a cab when they were confronted by people with guns, and had their wallets stolen. I doubt if she just made that up. Lochte said they held a gun to his head and cocked.

Later, Lochte said the incident wasn't in a taxi, and the gun was never held to his head.

He straight-up lied. There was no misunderstanding. Maybe there was some attempted extortion involved, but that's not what Lochte said.

He wasn't indicted. He's free to act like a jackass this weekend again if he chooses. He'll be fine. I wouldn't sponsor him either.
I think the problem is the coverage. It took venerable institution USA Today to come in and set the record straight about what actually happened.

Lochte could have told us what happened.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

Socnorb11 wrote:
ghostrunner wrote:

Lochte's mom said they were in a cab when they were confronted by people with guns, and had their wallets stolen. I doubt if she just made that up. Lochte said they held a gun to his head and cocked.

Later, Lochte said the incident wasn't in a taxi, and the gun was never held to his head.

He straight-up lied. There was no misunderstanding. Maybe there was some attempted extortion involved, but that's not what Lochte said.

He wasn't indicted. He's free to act like a jackass this weekend again if he chooses. He'll be fine. I wouldn't sponsor him either.
I think the problem is the coverage. It took venerable institution USA Today to come in and set the record straight about what actually happened.

And if we have two lying parties, what should the press be doing?

I'm not really concerned about Lochte. Losing some sponsorships is his problem.

At least one of the other swimmers did give what appears to be an honest account. It's lazy for the press to accept and run with the police's characterization without investigating further, simply because Lochte exaggerated or lied.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Ghostrunner might be the most reasonable person I've ever not quite met.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

ghostrunner wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote:
ghostrunner wrote:

I'm not really concerned about Lochte. Losing some sponsorships is his problem.

I guess we agree then. I felt like you were blaming Lochte's problems on the media.