2016-2017 Blues (Hockey) Season

A forum for non-baseball sports
MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Re: 2016-2017 Blues (Hockey) Season

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

JCShutout wrote:
MrCrowesGarden wrote:It seems like you're advocating two different things here: that the depth model is good, but we need another star. I just don't see any of the recent Cup winners who did it with "depth." If they had depth, it was in the form of 3 or 4 great goal scorers, not 1 great one and 6 okay ones.

I'm confident neither Fabbri nor Schwartz are that second banana. They're good players, don't get me wrong, but neither is the second scorer this team is missing.
Its not either/or. I think one or two really good, but not world beater players (or 3 in Tank, Petro and hopefully Parayko) can do well supplemented by very good players who are decent scoring threats. If Berglund Perron and Stastny can score 20+, and Schwartz, Steen and Fabbri net you 25+ while Tank gives you 35+, you can have a really good team because whichever line you shut down, another will be a threat... like Nashville. The problem is, with the exception of Berglund and Tank, everyone else fell short of those levels in the regular season, and things really dried up in the playoffs.

Most of those guys are paid for the totals I listed. (or for more-Stastny) That's the problem. One or two slightly overpaid guys who bring intangibles to the ice or locker room can work, but we have just too many of those guys. I think Vegas taking one of Bou, Gunnarson or Lehtera will help make some room, but I think if the Blues had another really good offensive piece, or if the pieces scored at a rate I listed above, I think we would have the offense and defense to compete with anyone in a 7 game series.

That's 135+ goals from the six second-tier players you mentioned. I just don't see that happening. If one from each of those groups got to those benchmarks, I'd probably take it.

I have no doubt in my mind Bouwmeester will be protected in the expansion draft, especially since Parayko doesn't need to be. The best hope is I think to attach a draft pick to Lehtera and have Vegas take him.

I think the protected players are going to be:

Tarasenko
Schwartz
Stastny
Perron
Berglund
Sobotka
Steen

Petro
Bouwmeester
Edmundson

Allen

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

If we can't expect 20-25 goals from the vast majority of the scoring line forwards making scoring line forward pay, (Fabbri the exeption as he makes next to nothing) then the Blues are doing things wrong. I figure they'll keep Bou also. Just want them to take one of the big bad contracts away.

That said, Stastny and Perron had 18 and Berglund scored 23, I want 20+ from them. That's pretty close and this was a weird year.

In the 25+ category:
Schwartz scored 19 this year, but has two previous 25+ goal seasons, and is only 24 years old. I think 25+ is a reasonable goal for him.
Steen and Fabbri should be in the 20+ category, I mistyped, but I don't think its unreasonable to see Fabbri around 25 goals in a couple of years. He's only 21.

So make that 125 goals from that crew. That's pretty good depth. Now will they do it? Yeah, I doubt it. 100 from that group probably.

EDIT: I thought Edmundson didn't have to be protected. Didn't he start at the same time as Parayko?

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

JCShutout wrote:If we can't expect 20-25 goals from the vast majority of the scoring line forwards making scoring line forward pay, (Fabbri the exeption as he makes next to nothing) then the Blues are doing things wrong. I figure they'll keep Bou also. Just want them to take one of the big bad contracts away.

That said, Stastny and Perron had 18 and Berglund scored 23, I want 20+ from them. That's pretty close and this was a weird year.

In the 25+ category:
Schwartz scored 19 this year, but has two previous 25+ goal seasons, and is only 24 years old. I think 25+ is a reasonable goal for him.
Steen and Fabbri should be in the 20+ category, I mistyped, but I don't think its unreasonable to see Fabbri around 25 goals in a couple of years. He's only 21.

So make that 125 goals from that crew. That's pretty good depth. Now will they do it? Yeah, I doubt it. 100 from that group probably.

EDIT: I thought Edmundson didn't have to be protected. Didn't he start at the same time as Parayko?
Eddy has one more year as a pro, even though it was at the AHL level.

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

Gotcha. Thanks. I hadn't read up on the details in a long time.

TimeForGuinness
Hall Of Famer

Post by TimeForGuinness »

Rumor is Tarasenko is going to need surgery this offseason, anyone else hearing this?

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

TimeForGuinness wrote:Rumor is Tarasenko is going to need surgery this offseason, anyone else hearing this?

I believe JR shot that down yesterday after speaking with Army.

TimeForGuinness
Hall Of Famer

Post by TimeForGuinness »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
TimeForGuinness wrote:Rumor is Tarasenko is going to need surgery this offseason, anyone else hearing this?

I believe JR shot that down yesterday after speaking with Army.
Good to hear!

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Army says he turned down offers of Sobotka for a 2nd. I would've been okay with that.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

The Caps are Caps'ing right now. Looks like we're not getting the extra 2nd rounder.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:The Caps are Caps'ing right now. Looks like we're not getting the extra 2nd rounder.
As an addendum to this, Shatty was pretty awful in the playoffs. I know Blues fans are used to it, but I wonder what his contract will look like in free agency... and if it's less than the extensions he could've signed with Tampa and Edmonton.