2016-2017 Blues (Hockey) Season

A forum for non-baseball sports
tlombard
tl;dr

Re: 2016-2017 Blues (Hockey) Season

Post by tlombard »

Bernie doesn't know much about hockey (he admitted it himself today and I admit that I don't either) but he was bashing Shatty a bit on his show this morning while I was walking to work. He was trying to be nice about it but he was. Made the same point that I've felt (idiots think alike?) over the years that the offensive prowess is great but if you are a defenseman and if you don't play solid defense then you're going to hurt your team when it really matters in the playoffs.

I loved it. Although I'm still annoyed by everybody gushing over Alex P's nifty offensive moves that didn't even end up in a goal a few years ago and completely ignoring the fact that he completely screwed up and gave up an easy goal in a big spot right after. So clearly I am a moron when it comes to hockey. I'm not trying to say that anybody is a bad player defensively because I don't get to watch enough to have a really informed opinion but if you're going to praise a guy for something above what you expect from his position then you have to be fair and point out the times where they fail to perform the actual responsibilities of their position and it really hurts the team.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

corey perry of the ducks has to be the last person you'd want to be right now. Takes a shot to the head that ricochets in for the preds. Brutal.

edited: Just went off his shoulder. Still sucks.

Farewell Friends
Snayke's Bottomline

Post by Farewell Friends »

Questions!

Do the Senators have any chance in this series? How can they win? Why did Fluery get benched throughout most of the year?

Are any of you surprised the Preds beat the Ducks?

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Farewell Friends wrote:Questions!

Do the Senators have any chance in this series? How can they win? Why did Fluery get benched throughout most of the year?

Are any of you surprised the Preds beat the Ducks?
1. The Sens have a slim chance.
2. Erik Karlsson has to keep being the Conn Smythe frontrunner.
3. Matt Murray is every bit as good as MAF. I wouldn't be surprised if Fleury is in Vegas next year.
4. Not really. The WCF seems pretty even.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

To further highlight our need for another scorer, Tarasenko finished 10th in the NHL in points. Next closest on the roster was Schwartz, who finished 61st in points. No other player in the top 10 in points has as big of a drop between he and his next closest teammate. I just don't think it's reasonable to expect any of the guys on the roster to take that next step to become the 2nd threat. Maybe Fabbri, but he's still probably a 55-60 point player.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

blues fired every one of their assistants today...odd since it seems this team really overachieved with the coaching change. didn't think the blues were the better team, talent-wise, in either series.

speculation is bringing the wolves coaches up, who had a great season.

guess since its yeo's "first" season as head coach here, he wants to pick his peeps.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

cardsfantx wrote:blues fired every one of their assistants today...odd since it seems this team really overachieved with the coaching change. didn't think the blues were the better team, talent-wise, in either series.

speculation is bringing the wolves coaches up, who had a great season.

guess since its yeo's "first" season as head coach here, he wants to pick his peeps.
That's what I would guess too. Seen a lot of high praise for Sydor and Berube on Twitter.

I'm guessing a lot of those assistants follow Hitch to Dallas?

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

Blues are also giving control of the AHL Wolves over to Vegas???

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hockey/p ... 16a0e.html

This seems... odd to me.

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

GeddyWrox wrote:Blues are also giving control of the AHL Wolves over to Vegas???

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hockey/p ... 16a0e.html

This seems... odd to me.
It always seemed weird that we had our minor league team in our biggest rivals backyard. I know I would be less likely to attend a local minor league baseball game knowing that it was affiliated with the Cubs instead of someone else.

As far as them firing all of the assistant coaches go it kind of makes sense. Most of those guys were Hitchcock's guys and Yeo probably wants to bring in his own guys so that he can put in his own system. A lot of those assistants coul end up with Hitch in Dallas.

albertmvpujols
All-Star

Post by albertmvpujols »

The diving of Filip Forsberg has been embarassing tonight, but it's worked. Maybe the refs will take a look at this after the game and give him the Alex Burrows treatment.