2016 Ryder Cup at Hazeltine

A forum for non-baseball sports
cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer

Re: 2016 Ryder Cup at Hazeltine

Post by cardinalkarp »

JackofDiamonds wrote:Went to the Barclay's a few weeks ago. While the pros are impressive, golf might be the most "well, I could do that" spectator sport. I'm a 4.5 index and can put together strings of 6-10 holes of scratch or better golf, and I'm self-aware enough (just enough) to know that I would get absolutely demolished in a tour event, but a small part of my brain says "if you practiced as much as they did, you could be out here."

I never look at a Chapman fastball or a Tarasenko shot and think I should be in the same game.
I have to agree w/ this.....I've been to a couple events and just get bored as hell thinking why don't I just go out and play a round myself, because it would be a hell of a lot more fun.

Granted, on the courses those guys play I'd probably shoot in the 90's or higher but that keep from thinking I could do ok.

stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother

Post by stlouie_lipp »

Sure, a shot here and there. Maybe even string a few holes together. But to compete with those guys, no way. The difference between a scratch golfer and a PGA Tour player is as big a difference as a scratch golfer and a 15 handicapper. They are simply playing a different game.

cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardinalkarp »

stlouie_lipp wrote:Sure, a shot here and there. Maybe even string a few holes together. But to compete with those guys, no way. The difference between a scratch golfer and a PGA Tour player is as big a difference as a scratch golfer and a 15 handicapper. They are simply playing a different game.
Oh I agree, I'm not saying in anyway I would compete w/ them. I'm just saying I could get out on the course and hit the ball around relatively effectively and not make and ass out of myself.

I might be able do the same on a baseball field, but I still wouldn't be touching a 103mph Chapman fastball.

JackofDiamonds
Bringer of Boston Baked Blue Balls

Post by JackofDiamonds »

stlouie_lipp wrote:Sure, a shot here and there. Maybe even string a few holes together. But to compete with those guys, no way. The difference between a scratch golfer and a PGA Tour player is as big a difference as a scratch golfer and a 15 handicapper. They are simply playing a different game.

Oh yeah, absolutely agree. The difference between a 4 handicap and a scratch golfer is probably as wide as a scratch and a pro. Everything from bogey golf down is about consistency and shot making.

It's just that, unlike the other major US sports, that gulf isn't as evident live.

stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother

Post by stlouie_lipp »

cardinalkarp wrote:
Oh I agree, I'm not saying in anyway I would compete w/ them. I'm just saying I could get out on the course and hit the ball around relatively effectively and not make and ass out of myself.

I might be able do the same on a baseball field, but I still wouldn't be touching a 103mph Chapman fastball.
To be fair, either do most MLB hitters. Don't sell yourself short!

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

In baseball, I think you look at most pitchers up there, and how clueless they look in many AB's. Yet those guys were probably among the best hitters on their HS teams.

For golf, I think you look at some of these guys posting a round of 85, and you think "holy crap they had a horrible round." I'd be ecstatic to post an 85 from the ladies' tees, much less the tips. PGA players are upset if they don't stick their 125 yard approach within 5 feet of the pin. I'm happy when I can get a 150 yard shot to stay on the green.

cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardinalkarp »

Popeye_Card wrote:In baseball, I think you look at most pitchers up there, and how clueless they look in many AB's. Yet those guys were probably among the best hitters on their HS teams.

For golf, I think you look at some of these guys posting a round of 85, and you think "holy crap they had a horrible round." I'd be ecstatic to post an 85 from the ladies' tees, much less the tips. PGA players are upset if they don't stick their 125 yard approach within 5 feet of the pin. I'm happy when I can get a 150 yard shot to stay on the green.
Very true, playing from the tips on a regular course makes it a different game....let alone playing on a championship course where the greens are like putting on glass.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

is hazeltine a derivative of ovaltine?

Gashouse
Perennial All-Star

Post by Gashouse »

My parents are really into golf and they're coming up here for the Ryder Cup. I think they're going to Saturday.

I should think about trying to go to a practice round, but I'm not a big enough fan to pay $275 for whatever I can get on StubHub for a competition day.

Gashouse
Perennial All-Star

Post by Gashouse »

I was on my way to a meeting early last week and happened to be passing two trucks with the golf carts for the players and captains. Saw US captain Davis Love III, then there were a few vice-captain carts without names plus more carts without any labels. Same for the Europeans.

Hotel prices are insane. An out-of-town contractor for one of my construction projects said that a Motel 6 ~30-40 min from Hazeltine is $100/night this week. They were considering just not working this week to avoid the excessive hotel costs.