'Burb Boy

RIP Arnold Palmer

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Damn 2016 sucks.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Re: RIP Arnold Palmer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

It was touching the last few years how Jack Nicklaus would help Arnie during the Masters interviews. It was apparent dementia had set in.

But what a golfer. RIP indeed.

And yeah it sucks - my grandfather died at 92 and mentioned to my mother how lonely it was when everyone he'd known was gone. Just starting for us baby boomers.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Pops turned 79 the other day. I can't believe it. RIP Annie.

Knot Hole Gang Vet
In perpetuum

Post by Knot Hole Gang Vet »

Great guy. In the 70's he stayed at Carmel Valley CC, where we had our home. He played practice rounds there and was very social with the small group that followed him around. He rode a helicopter back and forth to Pebble Beach for tourneys.

In the mid 60's, my sales manager and I happened to be at #17 hole in PB, which was about a 190 yard par 3. We were behind the green and Arnold hit over the back of the green and down on the rocks below. It's really sharp and rocky just on the Pacific waters. He went down there and tried to hit second shot up on the green-looking for a miracle recovery. Didn't turn out well for him, and finally took a 9 on the par 3. The episode became so famous, that the bar at Pebble named one of theie drinks: Palmer on the Rocks.