2016-17 NBA Season

A forum for non-baseball sports
Farewell Friends
Snayke's Bottomline

Re: 2016-17 NBA Season

Post by Farewell Friends »

Boston won the draft lottery.

Zaza Pachulia should be banished to Siberia.

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

Was there any doubt that LA was going to keep their pick?

Farewell Friends
Snayke's Bottomline

I'm an idiot. I thought the Cavs would be challenged in at least two Eastern Conference series.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Farewell Friends wrote:I'm an idiot. I thought the Cavs would be challenged in at least two Eastern Conference series.
At least you didn't go this hard.
themiddle54 wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:I am not much of an NBA fan so take this with a grain of salt...The Cavs aren't going to be seriously challenged in the East(even if they don't have Love, IMO)
Hold on there, kemosabe.

The Celtics have spent the last 6 weeks gaining on the Cavs, most of it without Avery Bradley who is probably either their 2nd or 3rd best player, depending on how you value D and how you feel about Al Horford. They're largely the Warriors if the Warriors focused more on D than they do on shooting--they're a three-and-D team that puts more emphasis on the D but can still really spread the floor. Between Bradley and Marcus Smart there is virtually always a player on the floor who is an elite defender who can be put on the opposing team's best player. It's not an accident that they're 2.5 back of Cleveland, who they beat last week in probably one of the 5 best regular season NBA games of the last decade.

The Wiz have the best starting five in the NBA now that Durant is down. Compare LU between them and the Cavs:
PG Kyrie - Wall (edge: Wall by a close margin)
SG JR Smith - Beal (edge: Beal by a big margin)
SF Lebron - Porter (edge: Lebron by a big margin)
PF Love - Morris (edge: Love by a small margin with the caveats that 1. Love is fragile, and 2. Love can disappear for extended periods when healthy)
C Thompson - Gortat (edge: Gortat by a big margin)

The benches? Edge: WAS by a far amount. For CLE: Korver is one-note, they have a couple retreads on 10-day contracts, guys like Derrick Williams who is on like his 6th team in 5 years. Frye isn't very good, neither is Shumpert, Deron Williams lost his job this year to a guy on a 10-day. For WAS: Bogdanovic was a good add, gives them a very good shooter, Oubre is coming along, Mahinmi has been getting more run and is playing well, Brandon Jennings was a nice pickup. Their bench has improved a lot since the deadline and they're playing well. They've won 7 out of 10 and that 10 includes a 5-game road trip that took them to 5 Western Conference cities in 7 days. There's a reason they too have been catching up with the Cavs and are only 3 games back. These are not two unmatched teams, or teams in which one is light years ahead of the other. CLE has the best player on the planet, but CLE's fourth best player would not start for the Wiz.

The Dubs have been awful without KD. They had to work their tails off to beat Philly by two points last night. They are in very bad shape right now. IF SA passes them and the Dubs draw Memphis in the first round (and this is very possible) and KD is not back they could be out in the first round. Memphis plays a very special type of basketball and they are tailor-made to stop a team like GS.
People underrate LeBron's impact and overrate over-coached regular season success from scrappy teams every year and I'm not sure why.

Farewell Friends
Snayke's Bottomline

I guess it's hard for me to wrap my head around LeBron James being that dominant of a force, not because it's hard to believe, but because he's in his 14th season and counting all the playoff games, another 2.5 seasons. That's incredible.

Is there a playoff team that, if you put LeBron on it, wouldn't advance to the Finals?

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

Farewell Friends wrote:I guess it's hard for me to wrap my head around LeBron James being that dominant of a force, not because it's hard to believe, but because he's in his 14th season and counting all the playoff games, another 2.5 seasons. That's incredible.

Is there a playoff team that, if you put LeBron on it, wouldn't advance to the Finals?
Not in the East. Maybe on the West? Would Lebron + Blazers beat the Warriors?

cardsfansince82
is shooing asian children away from his fridge.

Post by cardsfansince82 »

The last time Lebron didn't make it out of the east he averaged 28-9-7. People said he "wasn't assertive enough" and that Mo Williams, Delonte West and various other people registering a pulse qualified as a supporting cast. Then they [expletive] their pants when he left that dumpster fire.

Farewell Friends
Snayke's Bottomline

Boston should just forfeit.

cardsfansince82
is shooing asian children away from his fridge.

Post by cardsfansince82 »

Farewell Friends
Snayke's Bottomline

Ahem. Like I was saying, the Celtics are going to make this a series.