2016-17 NBA Season

A forum for non-baseball sports
themiddle54
Perennial All-Star

Re: 2016-17 NBA Season

Post by themiddle54 »

Secret Weapon wrote:I don't follow the NBA all that much but will watch the big games, but this whole resting players thing seems a little odd to me. It seems there is a lot of complaining about the NBA scheduling back to back games, but the NHL does the same thing and it seems like hockey would be more physically demanding than basketball. Maybe I am off though.
MLB guys rest a lor and no one gets too upset about it. Several times a year star players get a day off to clear their head and rest. Now, it's a different game, a 162-game grind where you're playing almost every day, and NBA is only 82 games in which you don't play a lot of back to backs.

I get a coach resting a veteran team occasionally, especially if their regular season fate is fairly clear. They aren't playing to be the regular season champs and want to be fresh for the playoffs.

On the other hand, it's entertainment and we the audience want to see the stars and the networks who paid incredibly high prices for the broadcast rights want to give us the stars. So if the Dubs are playing the Spurs on national TV on a Saturday night and the Spurs are on a B2B coming off playing in LA the night before....then Pop kind of ought to rest his players on Saturday night in LA rather than Sunday night in Oakland, if Sunday night in Oakland is the one prime time network TV game of the week. He does a disservice to the league by resting his studs on the only three hours we can see the NBA without cable this week. I get the league being displeased with this.

themiddle54
Perennial All-Star

Post by themiddle54 »

Lebron utterly dominated the Celtics tonight. Just physically imposed himself on the game from the opening tip. Very impressive performance.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

themiddle54 wrote:Lebron utterly dominated the Celtics tonight. Just physically imposed himself on the game from the opening tip. Very impressive performance.

I actually wish he'd do that more often.

themiddle54
Perennial All-Star

Post by themiddle54 »

I was going to buy tickets to Boston-Bulls Game 4 on Sunday. Tickets were like $56 for the 300s and as low as $160 for the 200s. I figured, eh, enthusiasm for this team is at the lowest point it has been in the post-Jordan era, just wait for Boston to beat them in the first two games, then come back and they should be even cheaper, with more options. That didn't work out so well.

themiddle54
Perennial All-Star

Post by themiddle54 »

I have what I call the Game Three Theory that applies tonight. That theory is that when an underdog gets beat in Games 1-2 on the road, and it's pretty evident they are going to lose the series, they will play their very best game of the series in Game Three when they come back home. It will be their Pride Game, and it's the game they will likely have the best chance of winning in the series. Like the Pacers going up 20-some last night before running out of gas and getting outclassed, or Memphis taking it hard to the Spurs last night.

So based on the Game Three Theory I expect Westbrook to break some kind of record tonight as far as individual stats in a playoff game. Something stupid like 60 with 22 boards and 13 assists.

Side note: If you play DraftKings or FanDuel daily fantasy sports, the Game Three Theory is +EV. I've used it the last two years with some success in the NBA playoffs.

themiddle54
Perennial All-Star

Post by themiddle54 »

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

themiddle54 wrote:I feel you Pat Beverley.

Westbrook actually said "I got 40 points", in a losing cause? Who does that?

cardsfansince82
is shooing asian children away from his fridge.

Post by cardsfansince82 »

Socnorb11 wrote:

He said it during the game, when he was winning. Speaking of 40, the Thunder were +40 with Mr Inefficient on the floor the final four games, -52 when he was on the bench. Seems pretty valuable to me.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

cardsfansince82 wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote:

He said it during the game, when he was winning. Speaking of 40, the Thunder were +40 with Mr Inefficient on the floor the final four games, -52 when he was on the bench. Seems pretty valuable to me.

Counterpoint: Russ was 37th (tied) in NBA for Points Per Shot this season. Super inefficient.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

He implied he is valuable, not efficient.