2016-17 NBA Season

A forum for non-baseball sports
Socnorb11
The Last Word

Re: 2016-17 NBA Season

Post by Socnorb11 »

I'm not understanding how this hurts the Kings if they plummet. Again, if they don't end up with a top 10 pick, then they lose it. They NEED to plummet.

I get what you're saying about the Pelicans becoming relevant. Cousins makes me nervous. I'm not convinced that he's the type of cornerstone that a young, building franchise needs. It definitely makes them better and more fun to watch for now, though.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Socnorb11 wrote:I'm not understanding how this hurts the Kings if they plummet. Again, if they don't end up with a top 10 pick, then they lose it. They NEED to plummet.

I get what you're saying about the Pelicans becoming relevant. Cousins makes me nervous. I'm not convinced that he's the type of cornerstone that a young, building franchise needs. It definitely makes them better and more fun to watch for now, though.
The Sixers have the right to pick swap with the Kings. If Sacramento picks first, Philadelphia will swap.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote:I'm not understanding how this hurts the Kings if they plummet. Again, if they don't end up with a top 10 pick, then they lose it. They NEED to plummet.

The Sixers have the right to pick swap with the Kings. If Sacramento picks first, Philadelphia will swap.

I understand that, but the Kings will still get the Sixers first round pick.

Again, if they don't plummet then the Kings get ZERO first round picks (because they lose their first round pick to the Bulls if it isn't a top 10).

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Socnorb11 wrote:
MrCrowesGarden wrote:

I understand that, but the Kings will still get the Sixers first round pick.

Again, if they don't plummet then the Kings get ZERO first round picks (because they lose their first round pick to the Bulls if it isn't a top 10).
They'll likely get the Pelicans pick unless it lands in the top 3.

I wouldn't sweat losing any picks outside the top 5 or so.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

I disagree. There's plenty of value in a top 10 pick. This year's draft is especially deep & strong.

Getting a top 10 pick, plus the Pelicans' pick, plus Hield............... it's a pretty good start to a rebuild.

themiddle54
Perennial All-Star

Post by themiddle54 »

This is a good draft. Once the Kings drop to like 7th worst they'll get a good lotto pick, and then they'll get the Pelicans pick somewhere around #12-14 at worst. That's pretty solid. And there is some incentive for them to slip because if they're not in the bottom 10 they lose the pick that they traded to the Cavs and the Cavs traded to the Bulls...not lose it, per se, but instead of losing it in the first they lose it in the second.

Talk about a declining asset, that pick. Protected top 14 one year, then protected top 10 for three years, with it becoming a 2nd round pick in that last year if still protected. The Kings are so terrible they retained the pick all those years. And the Kings are so terrible they couldn't do anything with continued high picks.

Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.

Post by Leroy »

I love it when the Sixers get kind of good, then trade away the players they groomed to be pretty good so they can be worthless again.
Kidding. I hate it.

themiddle54
Perennial All-Star

Post by themiddle54 »

Yeah, no kidding. The Sixers are now flipping young assets hoarded by Presti for more speculative future assets. Granted, Noel/Okafor/Embiid couldn't all fit on the same roster really. Okafor is just Embiid without 60% of Embiid's diversified skill set, and Noel is just a defender/post player, and Embiid is the franchise guy, so a move was inevitable.

Boston is the big ? They have SO MANY draft picks and a lot of young talent, so much that they have assets playing in Europe because they can't fit them all on their roster. How many draft picks do they need when they have two guys picked last year in Europe and one in the D-League and a very good NBA roster already? I assume Ainge will make some kind of splash in the next 90 minutes, but would be surprised if he moved that Nets pick that could potentially be the 1-1 pick next year and net them Lonzo Bell or Josh Jackson.

themiddle54
Perennial All-Star

Post by themiddle54 »

That Nerlens trade is hyper bizarre. They flip him for Bogut, Justin Anderson, and a pick that will probably end up being a couple 2nd round picks, thinking they will flip Bogut. But then can't make a Bogut trade work in 2.5 hours, so they move to buy out Bogut. So the Sixers traded Noel for Justin Anderson and a couple 2nd round picks?

Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.

Post by Leroy »

They make my head asplode.