2016-2017 College Basketball Thread

A forum for non-baseball sports
Farewell Friends
Snayke's Bottomline

2016-2017 College Basketball Thread

Post by Farewell Friends »

I'm only starting this because Travis Ford has landed Carte'Are Gordon (Rivals No. 16 in 2018) and Jordan Goodwin (Rivals No. 53 in 2017) at SLU.

Tim
Consider him admonished

Re: 2016-2017 College Basketball Thread

Post by Tim »

Woo pig. Big year for Mike Anderson. Tourney or Bust. SEC Preseason POY. No excuses.

Farewell Friends
Snayke's Bottomline

Suitcase Mike has recruited at Arkansas better than he ever recruited at Mizzou and has one tournament berth in a weaker conference. That's crazy.

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

Farewell Friends wrote:Suitcase Mike has recruited at Arkansas better than he ever recruited at Mizzou and has one tournament berth in a weaker conference. That's crazy.
He missed two of the most important in state recruits though. Archie Goodwin (Kentucky) and Malik Monk (Kentucky). Malik is the most painful. Lived ten minutes from campus and his brother Marcus is an Arkansas football legend.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Tim wrote:
Farewell Friends wrote:Suitcase Mike has recruited at Arkansas better than he ever recruited at Mizzou and has one tournament berth in a weaker conference. That's crazy.
He missed two of the most important in state recruits though. Archie Goodwin (Kentucky) and Malik Monk (Kentucky). Malik is the most painful. Lived ten minutes from campus and his brother Marcus is an Arkansas football legend.
People are so butt hurt about that. From Monk's perspective, made so much sense for him to choose Kentucky. He's been beat up by everyone for it, but tough to argue that Kentucky was the wrong decision.

TimeForGuinness
Hall Of Famer

Post by TimeForGuinness »

Farewell Friends wrote:I'm only starting this because Travis Ford has landed Carte'Are Gordon (Rivals No. 16 in 2018) and Jordan Goodwin (Rivals No. 53 in 2017) at SLU.
The future is looking brighter but this should still be a rough year.

Farewell Friends
Snayke's Bottomline

TimeForGuinness wrote:
Farewell Friends wrote:I'm only starting this because Travis Ford has landed Carte'Are Gordon (Rivals No. 16 in 2018) and Jordan Goodwin (Rivals No. 53 in 2017) at SLU.
Yeah, I think they'll finish last in the A10, but at least there's something to look forward to.

TimeForGuinness
Hall Of Famer

Post by TimeForGuinness »

Farewell Friends wrote:
TimeForGuinness wrote:
Yeah, I think they'll finish last in the A10, but at least there's something to look forward to.
The year after next (2018-2019 season), if things keep moving in the right direction, they'll be back in the tourney.

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
Tim wrote:
People are so butt hurt about that. From Monk's perspective, made so much sense for him to choose Kentucky. He's been beat up by everyone for it, but tough to argue that Kentucky was the wrong decision.
If he is as good as we are lead to believe, he could have gone to Harding and been a lottery pick. He doesn't need UK to be a lottery pick. In fact, you could make the case his talents may be show cased more at UA, where he will be the focal point of the offense. That ain't happening at UK with Fox there.

How are fans supposed to feel? Of course they are butthurt.

That said, I would've picked UK if I were him too.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Tim wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
Tim wrote:
If he is as good as we are lead to believe, he could have gone to Harding and been a lottery pick. He doesn't need UK to be a lottery pick. In fact, you could make the case his talents may be show cased more at UA, where he will be the focal point of the offense. That ain't happening at UK with Fox there.

How are fans supposed to feel? Of course they are butthurt.

That said, I would've picked UK if I were him too.
My biggest problem was people felt Monk owed it to Arkansas to go there. Yes, his brother went and was a big player and I believe still works there. Arkansas has been good to his family, both the state itself and the program. But, he isn't his brother and didn't owe anybody from the program and/or the state a damn thing. UK has a very high profile and does a great job at getting their players into the NBA. Yes, if he's awesome, he could go anywhere and be a lottery pick. But, his odds of being a lottery pick are likely greater going through UK than Arkansas. Callipari has a better program, is likely a better developer of talent, and has an infinitely better shot of getting Monk a championship in his (likely) short time there.

Plus, who knows what kind of benefits UK can offer that Arkansas may not.

It's his decision and I get that people are going to be upset he chose Kentucky, as you say, how are fans supposed to feel. But, the attacks he and his brother received shouldn't have occurred.

Drama like this seems to find its way to Arkansas more than it should....imo.