2016-2017 College Basketball Thread

A forum for non-baseball sports
Tim
Consider him admonished

Re: 2016-2017 College Basketball Thread

Post by Tim »

Oh I agree 100%. The Monk's don't owe anyone or the state anything. Marcus gave 100% to the UA.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Farewell Friends wrote:I'm only starting this because Travis Ford has landed Carte'Are Gordon (Rivals No. 16 in 2018) and Jordan Goodwin (Rivals No. 53 in 2017) at SLU.
Hopefully they stick. And qualify. Maybe Gordon's teammate Courtney Ramey will pick SLU as well. That would give the a Top 10 ish recruit class.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

I'm guessing Kim Anderson offers Mizzou recruits vanilla pudding.

cardsfansince82
is shooing asian children away from his fridge.

Post by cardsfansince82 »

Ford had a lot of underwhelming years at OSU with some very talented teams. He should do better in the A-10 if he can continue to land good recruits, but I'm skeptical of his coaching abilities overall.
MrCrowesGarden wrote:I'm guessing Kim Anderson offers Mizzou recruits vanilla pudding.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

cardsfansince82 wrote:Ford had a lot of underwhelming years at OSU with some very talented teams. He should do better in the A-10 if he can continue to land good recruits, but I'm skeptical of his coaching abilities overall.
As am I. I wish Majerus hadn't died.

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

Oh look what just dropped.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... y-wildcats

Kentucky's Malik Monk not defined by Arkansas roots

Despite the pleas for Monk to stay home, he felt free to make his own choice, he said.

His brother, Marcus Monk, the state's Mr. Basketball in 2004, picked Arkansas, where he excelled as a wide receiver with the Razorbacks. Both he and Monk's mother, Jackie Monk, tried to protect the teenager from the nastiness of recruiting.

"We weren't expecting [Arkansas fans] to love that he was going to another school, especially Kentucky," Marcus Monk said.

The state of Arkansas is full of prideful fans who expect their best talents to stay home, because that has been the trend. Both Barry Switzer and Jerry Jones played for the Razorbacks. Torii Hunter, who did not attend college before his MLB career commenced, built the Torii Hunter Baseball Complex for Arkansas-Pine Bluff's baseball team. Sidney Moncrief led Arkansas to the Final Four in 1978. Corliss Williamson carried the Razorbacks to the national championship in 1994.

During the 2014-15 season, Little Rock native Bobby Portis earned SEC Player of the Year honors at Arkansas, where he led the program to the NCAA tournament for the first time in seven years before securing a slot in the first round of the 2015 NBA draft.

Monk bucked that trend (like former Wildcats star and Little Rock native Archie Goodwin) and picked Kentucky prior to his senior prep season. That's when everything changed.

Farewell Friends
Snayke's Bottomline

Post by Farewell Friends »

I wish we could combine Ford's recruits with Crews's coaching ability, but overall, I just want him to make this a respectable program. I went to a few SLU games the last year they were competitive and it was a blast. It was nice to have something entertaining to follow during the winter.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Tim wrote:Oh look what just dropped.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... y-wildcats

Kentucky's Malik Monk not defined by Arkansas roots

Despite the pleas for Monk to stay home, he felt free to make his own choice, he said.

His brother, Marcus Monk, the state's Mr. Basketball in 2004, picked Arkansas, where he excelled as a wide receiver with the Razorbacks. Both he and Monk's mother, Jackie Monk, tried to protect the teenager from the nastiness of recruiting.

"We weren't expecting [Arkansas fans] to love that he was going to another school, especially Kentucky," Marcus Monk said.

The state of Arkansas is full of prideful fans who expect their best talents to stay home, because that has been the trend. Both Barry Switzer and Jerry Jones played for the Razorbacks. Torii Hunter, who did not attend college before his MLB career commenced, built the Torii Hunter Baseball Complex for Arkansas-Pine Bluff's baseball team. Sidney Moncrief led Arkansas to the Final Four in 1978. Corliss Williamson carried the Razorbacks to the national championship in 1994.

During the 2014-15 season, Little Rock native Bobby Portis earned SEC Player of the Year honors at Arkansas, where he led the program to the NCAA tournament for the first time in seven years before securing a slot in the first round of the 2015 NBA draft.

Monk bucked that trend (like former Wildcats star and Little Rock native Archie Goodwin) and picked Kentucky prior to his senior prep season. That's when everything changed.
Yeah...this is the part that I was referring to earlier.

To them, Monk's choice felt like betrayal.

According to popular local radio host Mike Irwin, Monk lost respect throughout a state that will never forgive his choice.

"He hasn't seen pressure like he's going to see now," Irwin said on air after Monk committed. "He's nobody. He will become nobody to most Razorbacks fans. ... Not only is it an insult that it happened, but he went to the one place that is just unacceptable, which is 'I'm a one-and-done.' OK. Stand up two years ago and announce that you're a one-and-done. Do that because you better move because, look, I know how this stuff works. I've seen it."

Irwin's "you better move" comment preceded a story about his brother-in-law, who picked Baylor football over Arkansas and couldn't find a job for three years once he came home. But his tale represented the anger some Razorbacks fans felt.

Within the backlash, former Arkansas star and eight-year NBA veteran Ronnie Brewer tweeted his support for Monk and disappointment with the fan base.

Follow
Ronnie Brewer ✔ @RonnieBrewerJr
Crazy how fans bash a KID on a decision. If you are a true fan cheer and support your team. Show some class. Once a hog always a hog #WPS
10:35 AM - 18 Nov 2015
244 244 Retweets 426 426 likes

JL21
NPR & THT Contributor

Post by JL21 »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:I'm guessing Kim Anderson offers Mizzou recruits vanilla pudding.
Ha... like a kid in a 1950s sitcom. "Golly gee, we'd be awful sore if you don't sign with us. We stunk last year but we could be really swell if you were part of our gang."

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

Mizzou was in a 1 possession game under a minute to play v Central Missouri tonight