Michael Sam - NFL's first openly gay prospect

A forum for non-baseball sports
Secret Weapon
Perennial All-Star

Michael Sam - NFL's first openly gay prospect

Post by Secret Weapon »

So Michael Sam has come out as gay. Gotta give him props for doing it just before he is about to get drafted, he's got some balls.

cardsfansince82
is shooing asian children away from his fridge.

Re: Mizzou football '13

Post by cardsfansince82 »

Secret Weapon wrote:he is about to get drafted,
Or at least we hope so. We'll see just how serious the NFL is about equality since he's clearly worthy of getting picked. Good for him.

JL21
NPR & THT Contributor

Post by JL21 »

Obviously, the bigger deal is Sam's announcement and what it means, but I'm also pretty impressed that he told the whole team before the season even started (and apparently tons of them knew already) and it seems to have never been an issue.

cardsfansince82
is shooing asian children away from his fridge.

Post by cardsfansince82 »

JL21 wrote:but I'm also pretty impressed that he told the whole team before the season even started (and apparently tons of them knew already) and it seems to have never been an issue.
Yeah, that should kill the whole "too much of a distraction" crap. It never got out of the locker room and the team had one of its best seasons ever with him as a leader.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

cardsfansince82 wrote:
JL21 wrote:but I'm also pretty impressed that he told the whole team before the season even started (and apparently tons of them knew already) and it seems to have never been an issue.
Yeah, that should kill the whole "too much of a distraction" crap. It never got out of the locker room and the team had one of its best seasons ever with him as a leader.
++++

Hats of to him and his teammates. This is how it should work.

docellis
America's Most Beloved Twitter Joke Thief

Post by docellis »

I love this story. The most gregarious, loved player - who is nationally recognized as a leader (d)! and likely one of the first 200 people drafted by the nfl.

The comments sections of most places (NYT, Stltoday, FB) are almost completely positive.

Except these types:

1. Who cares? I didn't announce my sexuality!
2. You will burn in hell.

Both are terrible.

LOVE that Mizzou had that kind of support. Love that Sam felt love from his teammates and coaches.

Secret Weapon
Perennial All-Star

Post by Secret Weapon »

Well at least one of his teammates is a douche...

https://twitter.com/E_Waters81

Mista Chowww ‏@E_Waters81 2h
Half of y'all posting these pics saying how proud you are. But most of y'all was the ones talkin [expletive] behind his back in the locker room

Mista Chowww ‏@E_Waters81 1h
If you don't like what I have to say then don't follow me. I'm sleeping the real. If you don't like hearing the truth then click unfollow

Mista Chowww ‏@E_Waters81 1h
I refuse to sugar coat the truth... Like I said if you have a problem please click the unfollow button and save yourself from the truth

Vidor
You've just been hit by...VidorSmarm™

Post by Vidor »

ThatGuy
Perennial All-Star

Post by ThatGuy »

So I realize I'm basically coming back from the dead to post this, but...

As someone who is gay and has been dealing with the "coming out process" for the last year or two, I can't even imagine how much courage Michael Sam must have to tackle (haha, football pun) this issue head-on at this point in his career. I've been going through some tough times recently, so this story has significantly brightened my mood tonight. It gives me a lot of hope, and I love that he's not afraid to be himself. "Being yourself" may sound cliche, but I've been afraid to be myself for a large part of my life, so this really hits home. Though negativity obviously still exists, the response has been pretty awesome so far.

Anyhow, just wanted to voice my support for Michael. What he's doing is really meaningful to a lot of people.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Great to hear from you man.