The Official GRB 2017 Golf Thread

A forum for non-baseball sports
AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Re: The Official GRB 2017 Golf Thread

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

cardinalkarp wrote:Weight transfer, and clearing the hips are where you're going to generate all your power.

But like your brother said as well, that's the first thing I noticed was how far away from the ball you were.

Putting the ball up in your stance (meaning you're lining it up closer to your front foot) isn't necessarily going to generate more club speed, in fact could be the opposite as I would think the lowest point of the swing would generate the highest club speed; as the club is on it's way up it's decreasing in speed.

Having the ball up in your stance it going to typically create more loft to your shot and back in your stance the opposite (which is why you're lining the ball up at your back foot when punching under obstacles).

Longer swing does not always = harder swing....that goes for both baseball and golf.
Oh, I like to think it does :)

cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardinalkarp »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
cardinalkarp wrote:Weight transfer, and clearing the hips are where you're going to generate all your power.

But like your brother said as well, that's the first thing I noticed was how far away from the ball you were.

Putting the ball up in your stance (meaning you're lining it up closer to your front foot) isn't necessarily going to generate more club speed, in fact could be the opposite as I would think the lowest point of the swing would generate the highest club speed; as the club is on it's way up it's decreasing in speed.

Having the ball up in your stance it going to typically create more loft to your shot and back in your stance the opposite (which is why you're lining the ball up at your back foot when punching under obstacles).

Longer swing does not always = harder swing....that goes for both baseball and golf.
Oh, I like to think it does :)
Nothing better than swinging as hard as you can and it flies 75 yards in the wrong direction; take a nice fluid and balanced swing and it'll go straight and 50 yards further than when you try to absolutely destroy the ball.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

No matter how many times I hit the ball farther and straighter with a nice easy swing, I just can't help trying to absolutely murder the ball a few times a round. The one out of a hundred times it works (being generous here) is just so satisfying!

If I were really playing smart golf I'd just tee off with a 7 iron and leave the driver in the bag. The reason being that for some reason I hit my 7 iron better and much more consistently than any other club in my bag. Instead of getting in trouble off of the tee with my hook and not really having a shot to hit the green in two on a par 4, I could just hit two 7 irons and be within range of the green and probably in better shape than if I started with the driver. I read that tip for a crappy golfer (they know me!) years ago and it made perfect sense. I guess ego gets in the way and I want to be a manly man and drive the green.

I actually think I need to do more stupid things in our company tournament next year. We won B flight a few weeks ago to go along with our A flight trophy from 2014. Now we need to complete the set and find a way to win C flight. Unfortunately they have decided to just base the flights on overall score instead of flighting based on the front 9 score (dumb) so we can't just tank the front nine a little and then kill the back 9. We were missing our best guy this year because of a prior engagement he couldn't get out of but with him, we could probably pull off the C flight if it wasn't based solely on total score for determining the flights. The only reason we won B flight was because we didn't bogey anything all day. There were five teams tied at 4 under so we won the scorecard playoff purely on our consistency and the couple of birdies we had. The other four teams all had multiple bogeys.

cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardinalkarp »

No matter how many times I hit the ball farther and straighter with a nice easy swing, I just can't help trying to absolutely murder the ball a few times a round. The one out of a hundred times it works (being generous here) is just so satisfying!
And then it's typically followed up by multiple curse words one after the other. :P

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

I actually stay pretty calm. My expectations of my game aren't high enough to really get mad. Even though I threw my putter into the pond after we all missed the birdie putt on our last hole, I wasn't even mad then. I honestly have no idea why I did it. The thought popped into my head and I chucked it into the pond. When the other three looked at me I just shrugged and said that I guess I need a new putter as calm as can be. They just laughed at my stupidity.

cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardinalkarp »

tlombard wrote:I actually stay pretty calm. My expectations of my game aren't high enough to really get mad. Even though I threw my putter into the pond after we all missed the birdie putt on our last hole, I wasn't even mad then. I honestly have no idea why I did it. The thought popped into my head and I chucked it into the pond. When the other three looked at me I just shrugged and said that I guess I need a new putter as calm as can be. They just laughed at my stupidity.
Staying calm and throwing your putter into the pond on the last whole does not compute.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

I stay calm until I don't.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

cardinalkarp wrote:
tlombard wrote:I actually stay pretty calm. My expectations of my game aren't high enough to really get mad. Even though I threw my putter into the pond after we all missed the birdie putt on our last hole, I wasn't even mad then. I honestly have no idea why I did it. The thought popped into my head and I chucked it into the pond. When the other three looked at me I just shrugged and said that I guess I need a new putter as calm as can be. They just laughed at my stupidity.
Staying calm and throwing your putter into the pond on the last whole does not compute.
I was honestly not mad. When I get mad on the course I beat the club on the ground. The only club I've ever thrown in anger was the $20 driver I had bought at Service Merchandise many years ago. I did throw that one into a lake out of anger.

Stupid thoughts pop into my head all the time that I ignore. This time I didn't. I felt like throwing it so I did. I also like throwing things. And let's not discount the amount of beer that I'd consumed during the round. I wasn't plastered but I did have a nice buzz and was right in that sweet spot of feeling good.

The putter was also a cheap piece of junk that I can't even remember where I got. I certainly didn't buy it. I think I found it somewhere. I need to upgrade anyway. The putter was never the cause of my crappy putting (that's all on me) but it was still time to upgrade.

cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardinalkarp »

Not to mix Trump into the golf thread, but Trump is such an [expletive] he drives his cart right onto greens.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

Forget impeachment. After watching that video the monster must be stopped. Time for an assassination. I don't care if he owns the golf course, DON'T DRIVE ON THE GREEN!!!