The Official GRB 2017 Golf Thread

A forum for non-baseball sports
cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer

Re: The Official GRB 2017 Golf Thread

Post by cardinalkarp »

Yeah, I can't remember the last time I shot in the 90's. I've never been a low 70's guy, but I'd be a pretty consistent 6 to 10 handicap back in the day. Obviously, not anymore...I've let playing baseball supplement my golf playing for the time being.

I'll get out once or twice a month and hope for the best....but, I'll typically a mid to low 80's.

I had lost the Titleist 8 iron awhile back and just played w/o that for quite sometime until my Dad bought me a newer oversized Titleist DCI (black triangle) and it didn't feel anything like the others.

I was gonna try to go w/ a different Titleist wedge, but I feared I'd have the same issue. I hit the ol' 40th bday a couple weeks back so after the wedge fiasco he said he'd by me a new set for my bday. Of course I think the timing has something to do w/ me being in a scramble w/ him in a couple weeks :P

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Sweet timing!

I'd have a tough time breaking 90 today. Only getting out a couple times a year and usually scrambling does not help keep the shortgame sharp.... [insert sad face here]

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Jason Dufner is leading at -13 in the Memorial so far

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

We had our company tournament on Saturday. We were bad. We ended up 4 under (no bogeys at least) and won B Flight. Kind of depressing considering we've won A Flight before and finished in the top four of A flight the past six years or more.

And I threw my putter in the pond after the last hole. I was a bit frustrated.

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

Whew! Played 18 yesterday for the first time in 9 years. I didn't break 100 and other than getting dehydrated it felt good to get back out there. The lessons have definitely paid off. I just need to figure out what to do when I am in the sand.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Pretend there's a tee under the ball and you want to knock the tee out without hitting hte ball.

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:Pretend there's a tee under the ball and you want to knock the tee out without hitting hte ball.
I'll try it.

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

Brooks Koepka was nails this week

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

Tim wrote:Whew! Played 18 yesterday for the first time in 9 years. I didn't break 100 and other than getting dehydrated it felt good to get back out there. The lessons have definitely paid off. I just need to figure out what to do when I am in the sand.
If nobody is looking or knows that it definitely went in the sand, grab the ball and drop it on the edge of the trap in the rough and claim you found it there.

But the tee tip is a good one. I've never used that exact analogy but the same basic thing. Ball back in your stance, open the club face a little and then try to scoop under the ball. I would also suggest making sure you follow through all the way. Not a full swing but don't stop at the point of contact and at least get through the sand completely.

Also, it's been awhile since I've hit out of the sand since I only play once a year and it is a scramble where we we've never had that be our best option, but if my memory serves me correctly, line up a little left of the target. Not much but a little. For me the ball always tends to push right a little.

cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardinalkarp »

So, I've played a few rounds w/ the new clubs....also picked up a new driver and 3 wood (Ping i20's).

First round (at St. Peters - 77); Second round (Innsbrook - 82); Third round (Wolf Hollow - 86)....I'm trending in the wrong direction.....lol

Still love the clubs though. If anyone is looking for picking up a used set of irons I highly suggest http://www.globalgolf.com. They have GREAT prices on clubs of ALL ranges.