2017 NFL Thread - Become a Chiefs Fan! (Or Don't)

A forum for non-baseball sports
GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Re: 2017 NFL Thread

Post by GeddyWrox »

Maybe someone can answer this for me... If all these QBs that run the spread offense in college struggle in the pros, why don't NFL teams run a more spread style offense? Is it just too simplistic to succeed against NFL defenses? It seems to me if a team had a great D and collected superior athletes on offense, and ran a spread offense, maybe they'd be able to win that way???

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

From my understanding, and my football IQ is not very high, the problem with the spread in the NFL is the defensive players are too strong and fast. If an nfl team tries to spread the field like NCAA teams do, the defense fills the gaps too quickly and prevents it from even getting going. Linemen in the backfield, linebackers in the gaps, and no time for the WR's to get downfield.

The best example I can think of is Mizzou back in the late 00s. They would throw up 50 points against the lesser big 12 teams and then struggle to score 20ish points against OU whose defense could shut everything down.

Also, running the spread puts the quarterback at greater risk for injury since they're getting tackled more frequently. And, NFL teams do everything they can to protect their QBs. Even Cam Newton who is talented enough to give defenders fits is limited in his carries.

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

GeddyWrox wrote:Maybe someone can answer this for me... If all these QBs that run the spread offense in college struggle in the pros, why don't NFL teams run a more spread style offense? Is it just too simplistic to succeed against NFL defenses? It seems to me if a team had a great D and collected superior athletes on offense, and ran a spread offense, maybe they'd be able to win that way???
They do, it's just not as obvious. A few of the Chief's reporters/analysts took a hard look at Mahomes' games and a lot of the types of plays that Mahomes ran -- not all and not as wide open -- at Texas Tech is similar to what Andy Reid has run in KC. NFL teams are running quite a bit of the spread concept, but they're also running a lot of things, too.

I've also wondered what people mean when they say that "QB's that run the spread struggle in the pros." Almost all QB's -- regardless of what they run in college -- struggle in the pros. Every draft class is lucky to get 1 QB who even sticks as a starter in the NFL. Even the ones who make it struggle in the pros for awhile before putting it together. These guys aren't universally pro-style.
There's a real sample size issue here that, imo, has very little to do with the type of offense that a team ran in college.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

I still scoff at this idea that Mahomes is going to "learn" from Alex Smith. "Here, let me show you how to throw a 5 yard route on 3rd and 8."

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:I still scoff at this idea that Mahomes is going to "learn" from Alex Smith. "Here, let me show you how to throw a 5 yard route on 3rd and 8."
Ha. I think you have to look at the parts of the game that Smith excels at -- Smith is one of the smartest QB's in the game, as far as reading plays and decision making, defenses, check-outs. Learning the verbage, being a leader, etc. Reid calls the plays in, but Smith has complete control at the line of scrimmage. Those are the kinds of things that he can and should try to learn from Smith -- along with the QB coach, OC, Reid, and the rest of the offensive staff.

To me, it's all just narrative and this kind of thing is likely overblown on both sides. Smith isn't going to take Mahomes aside and personally mentor him on how to play in the NFL, but there's a lot that Mahomes could learn from Smith by watching, listening, etc.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

Yeah, the whole "learning" thing is almost completely irrelevant. Brock Osweiler spent 3 years carrying the clipboard for Peyton Manning (possibly the most cerebral quarterback ever). It's part of the reason Houston couldn't wait to get him on board. We see how that worked out.

Transmogrified Tiger
Puppy Murderer

Post by Transmogrified Tiger »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:I still scoff at this idea that Mahomes is going to "learn" from Alex Smith. "Here, let me show you how to throw a 5 yard route on 3rd and 8."
I think the proportion weighs heavily towards Reid given his QB history, but I also think there's more to what Reid and Smith have done than popular perception might think. Only the Patriots, Seahawks, and Broncos have won more games since those 2 came to KC. They've had very good defenses and haven't had a video game level of offensive production, but that's the case with Seattle too and Wilson is still well-regarded.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Rams new stadium won't be ready until 2020, year later than anticipated. Took the Milli Vanilli route and blamed it on the rain.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:Rams new stadium won't be ready until 2020, year later than anticipated. Took the Milli Vanilli route and blamed it on the rain.
I'm sure they'll announce this Fall that it's been pushed out to 2021 due to wild fires.