2017 NFL Thread - Become a Chiefs Fan! (Or Don't)

A forum for non-baseball sports
Jocephus
99% conan clips

Re: 2017 NFL Thread

Post by Jocephus »

cringeworthy

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Joe Mixon got picked in the 2nd round. I'm not going to say all but one team wasn't interested when he's picked that early.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:Joe Mixon got picked in the 2nd round. I'm not going to say all but one team wasn't interested when he's picked that early.

He was considered by some to be the best player in the draft, and was definitely the top running back. He didn't fall to 48 because he's a mediocre football player.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Socnorb11 wrote:
MrCrowesGarden wrote:Joe Mixon got picked in the 2nd round. I'm not going to say all but one team wasn't interested when he's picked that early.

He was considered by some to be the best player in the draft, and was definitely the top running back. He didn't fall to 48 because he's a mediocre football player.
Who considered him the best player in the draft? And he certainly wasn't favored over Fournette. This is revisionist history. Falling from the first round to the 2nd isn't blackballing at all. The Oregon State pitcher who inappropriately touched his cousin was (rightfully IMO) blackballed.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
Who considered him the best player in the draft?

One executive did. I guess it's not "some", technically:

https://nesn.com/2017/04/is-joe-mixon-t ... thinks-so/

MrCrowesGarden wrote: And he certainly wasn't favored over Fournette. This is revisionist history. Falling from the first round to the 2nd isn't blackballing at all. The Oregon State pitcher who inappropriately touched his cousin was (rightfully IMO) blackballed.
It's pretty easy to find people who thought he was the best RB in the draft. I never said he was "blackballed". I said that beating women makes a difference on how NFL teams view you. To say it's "no big deal" is false. Only 4 teams even considered drafting him, and he'd be far more valuable as a football player than Kaepernick:

https://www.upi.com/Sports_News/NFL/201 ... 493485061/

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

On football talent alone, scouts speaking to USA TODAY Sports pegged Mixon as a borderline first-round pick in a deep running back class who’d be off the board no later than Day 2.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... /97154524/

So maybe, maybe, he slid 15 spots... which happens all the time in the draft.

I don't think NFL teams care about DV, or at least not as much as kneeling during the anthem. The Bengals didn't poll their fans about whether they should draft Mixon. The Cowboys didn't ask if it was a good look to sign Greg Hardy.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
On football talent alone, scouts speaking to USA TODAY Sports pegged Mixon as a borderline first-round pick in a deep running back class who’d be off the board no later than Day 2.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... /97154524/

So maybe, maybe, he slid 15 spots... which happens all the time in the draft.

I don't think NFL teams care about DV, or at least not as much as kneeling during the anthem. The Bengals didn't poll their fans about whether they should draft Mixon. The Cowboys didn't ask if it was a good look to sign Greg Hardy.

I can provide a whole list of links referencing people who disagree with that evaluation, if you'd like. Or, we can assume that you are correct, and that he was projected for late first, early 2nd round. If that's the case, you'll need to explain to me why only 4 teams even had him on their draft board at all. AT ALL.

Also, that link says that officials believe that he's not a bad kid. I call bs on that, specifically.

Greg Hardy didn't play at all in 2016, and is still unemployed right now, because of his off-field issues.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

But Hardy got a second chance... for something far worse than Kaepernick, who I'm certain is among the 64 best people interested in playing QB in the NFL.

Also the dateline on that "four teams" article is from the day after Mixon was drafted. I see the Schefter tweet was from that day and references a poll from that week, but Schefter has been a mouthpiece for teams before. I think it's very easy to say after the fact you weren't going to pick him, whether that's true or not. My personal opinion is that wasn't true for most teams. No team will ever do it, of course, but if some team came out and said "he's undraftable" ahead of time and actually put their name on it, it'd mean something. I still contend Mixon cost himself very marginally if at all.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:But Hardy got a second chance... for something far worse than Kaepernick, who I'm certain is among the 64 best people interested in playing QB in the NFL.

Also the dateline on that "four teams" article is from the day after Mixon was drafted. I see the Schefter tweet was from that day and references a poll from that week, but Schefter has been a mouthpiece for teams before. I think it's very easy to say after the fact you weren't going to pick him, whether that's true or not. My personal opinion is that wasn't true for most teams. No team will ever do it, of course, but if some team came out and said "he's undraftable" ahead of time and actually put their name on it, it'd mean something. I still contend Mixon cost himself very marginally if at all.
The article specifically says that the survey was conducted in the week leading up to the draft. If you're simply going to dismiss information that I provide when it doesn't fit your agenda and say "I don't believe it", then I'm not sure how we can have a meaningful discussion about the issue. Schefter also said that he believes that Kaepernick is being blackballed. Should we dismiss that statement, as well?

Greg Hardy was a far more talented football player at his position than Kaepernick is, at the time the Cowboys signed him. That's why the Cowboys gave him a shot. Now, he's proven to be not AS valuable, so teams aren't bothering. Same as with Kaepernick.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Socnorb11 wrote:
MrCrowesGarden wrote:But Hardy got a second chance... for something far worse than Kaepernick, who I'm certain is among the 64 best people interested in playing QB in the NFL.

The article specifically says that the survey was conducted in the week leading up to the draft. If you're simply going to dismiss information that I provide when it doesn't fit your agenda and say "I don't believe it", then I'm not sure how we can have a meaningful discussion about the issue. Schefter also said that he believes that Kaepernick is being blackballed. Should we dismiss that statement, as well?

Greg Hardy was a far more talented football player at his position than Kaepernick is, at the time the Cowboys signed him. That's why the Cowboys gave him a shot. Now, he's proven to be not AS valuable, so teams aren't bothering. Same as with Kaepernick.
Kinda exactly what I wrote innit? I'm mistrusting of this anonymous source. Without knowing what four teams (and none went on record predraft to say they wouldn't take Mixon,) then I take it with a grain of salt.

Greg Hardy was a far more talented football player... that did something far, far, I can't type enough fars worse than Kaepernick. Why justify him getting a second chance?

And yeah, I believe Kaepernick is better than most NFL backups and a few NFL starters.

I'm also certain we were never going to have a meaningful conversation on this to begin with.