Most Popular Sports Team by State

A forum for non-baseball sports
CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Most Popular Sports Team by State

Post by CardsofSTL »

Thought this was interesting...not sure how recent the data was collected. Makes sense for football teams to be carrying multiple states but some of the results are a little surprising to me; especially New York.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Re: Most Popular Sports Team by State

Post by CardsofSTL »

Just double checked the article and the data is from 2014; so it is a little old.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

Going by search data seems imperfect, but still surprised that the baseball team wins in Georgia, Alabama, and DC. I expected it with Missouri and Massachusetts. The Bills in New York - that one's hard to believe.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Yeah it is a bit of a flawed polling system but curious all the same. I'm surprised the Browns win in Ohio over OSU but that is probably because I live in Columbus where the college team gets the most press.

I did some checking and the numbers though dated from 2014 seem to be reflective of current trends as well. Go figure.

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

Bills probably got New York since they're probably the most popular in everywhere in New York other then New York City itself. By I would have to imagine that Yankees should be the #1 team.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

There's no way the Bruins are more popular in Mass than the Sox, Pats, or Celtics.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Also since it is going by search data....I guess they get points for everyone that googled "The Bills Suck"

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

thrill wrote:There's no way the Bruins are more popular in Mass than the Sox, Pats, or Celtics.
Oof. I mistook Connecticut for Mass. Yeah, that's nuts.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

The Bills fans have had a pretty impressive run of drunken wrestling demonstrations and videos of butt eating from their tailgates so I would bet that they probably get a lot of searches for things like that.

That being said, I kind of want to create a bot that spoofs a NY IP address and just constantly searches for Boston Red Sox so put them as the most popular search. Maybe do the same thing and put the Cards on top in Illinois using Chicago IP addresses.

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

JoeMcKim wrote:Bills probably got New York since they're probably the most popular in everywhere in New York other then New York City itself. By I would have to imagine that Yankees should be the #1 team.
Having lived in upstate NY for several years, I can promise you that the Bills are far from the most popular everywhere outside of NYC. Even among football fans, it's very much an even split on being Giants/Bills. I will admit Jets fans are lacking outside of NYC.

If anything, the most popular sports team north of NYC would be the Syracuse Orange.