Most Popular Sports Team by State

A forum for non-baseball sports
TheTimeIsNow
All-Star

Re: Most Popular Sports Team by State

Post by TheTimeIsNow »

The Pirates are the most popular team in Pennsylvania?!?!? They must not have counted the Steelers, Penguins, Eagles, 76ers, and Flyers.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

I also wonder (didn't look at any link for methodology) what time period they used for the searches. It would seem to me that if they used a chunk of time where there isn't much football action, that could benefit a team like the Pirates. Using searches on Google may be the best method available to them but there are so many factors in something like that. Heck, a big scandal or breaking news could influence searches across the country if they use a short enough time span.

Obviously just because somebody is searching for a team doesn't mean they are a fan also. If I am looking for information on the Cards, I come here or directly to their website, Post-Dispatch website, MLB.com, etc. I don't do a search on Google. If I'm doing a search on Google for a team, 99% of the time it is for a team that I'm not a fan of.

JL21
NPR & THT Contributor

Post by JL21 »

ghostrunner wrote:Going by search data seems imperfect, but still surprised that the baseball team wins in Georgia, Alabama, and DC. I expected it with Missouri and Massachusetts. The Bills in New York - that one's hard to believe.
Yeah, DC and VA are Skins and it's not even close. It's closer than it would have been 20 years ago because the franchise has been such an embarrassment, but it's still the one team that EVERYONE cares about. The Nats, Wizards, and Caps are just kind of a way to waste time until the NFL starts again.

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

The Nats fan base is also kind of slip in half by a lot of the potential fans being O's fans.