2017-2018 Blues (Hockey) Season

A forum for non-baseball sports
MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Re: 2017-2018 Blues (Hockey) Season

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

JCShutout wrote:
MrCrowesGarden wrote:
JCShutout wrote:Late to the party, but good trade! Team isn't going anywhere, and getting a 1st back is a big help. (even if its a late 1st) Prospect seems kinda meh, take the 4th.

I'm sad they couldn't move one of the 4 big contracts, but I'm sure teams didn't want to take on that much salary for that long without sending a bad salary back. Maybe if the cap goes up, someone will look at Berglund's year last year and take a chance on him in a trade.

Foley is a better prospect than a 4th rounder.
I hope you're right. I admittedly know next to nothing about the minors these days. Had read somewhere he was a depth guy who might not transition to the pro game, but now I can't even find that, so disregard my comment.
No worries. He’s definitely more intriguing than a mid round pick though he’s most likely a bottom 6 player. Point per game player in college. Not exceptionally big but physical. He’s not special or anything like that, but there’s real reason to think he’s got an NHL future

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

I'm going to give the Blues two more games before I give up on them completely. I'm about 99% done with them now as it is. I never thought I'd see the day when one of my friends is ready to start concentrating on the Cards now over the Blues. He's a hockey fan first and won't pay any real attention to the Cards until after the Blues are done but this year he's starting to change that stance. Really never thought the Blues could play so terribly for so long that he'd write them off before the final day.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

tlombard wrote:I'm going to give the Blues two more games before I give up on them completely. I'm about 99% done with them now as it is. I never thought I'd see the day when one of my friends is ready to start concentrating on the Cards now over the Blues. He's a hockey fan first and won't pay any real attention to the Cards until after the Blues are done but this year he's starting to change that stance. Really never thought the Blues could play so terribly for so long that he'd write them off before the final day.
I am right there with you... and your friend sounds exactly like a friend of mine... is his name Scott by chance? LOL

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

So I've been doing some reading about the deadline and some radio interviews and will try to summarize as best I can.

-The Blues and Senators were very close on a deal for Mike Hoffman, and there's still some thought this deal will get done at the draft. (It technically still could get done today, but any traded players won't be eligible for the postseason, a fact that gets less relevant for the Blues every day.) The sticking point sounds like it might be the Sens wanted to unload Bobby Ryan too. They were willing to retain 50% salary, but wanted one of Thomas/Kyrou/Kostin/Thompson, and Armstrong wouldn't budge.Theres also a thought that Armstrong would be on board with a Hoffman/Ryan package, but he'd need to dump Bouwmeester and Sobotka.

-They also had some traction on a JBo deal. Both Tampa and Florida had interest. Thoughts that he may get traded to Florida for the final year of his deal which will also be his final year in the NHL.

-There was also some traction on a Sobotka deal with Columbus with Boone Jenner the reported return.

-Berglund and Steen were lightly shopped but talks never went anywhere.

(My quick note: I get holding on to the top prospects, but I would've moved Thompson for Hoffman. I think there's a clear divide between the other three and him.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

GeddyWrox wrote:
tlombard wrote:I'm going to give the Blues two more games before I give up on them completely. I'm about 99% done with them now as it is. I never thought I'd see the day when one of my friends is ready to start concentrating on the Cards now over the Blues. He's a hockey fan first and won't pay any real attention to the Cards until after the Blues are done but this year he's starting to change that stance. Really never thought the Blues could play so terribly for so long that he'd write them off before the final day.
I am right there with you... and your friend sounds exactly like a friend of mine... is his name Scott by chance? LOL
Ha! His name isn't Scott. Although, if the Scott you are talking about has a last name that starts with a B and a wife named Martha then I do know him even though I haven't seen him in awhile.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

tlombard wrote:
GeddyWrox wrote:
Ha! His name isn't Scott. Although, if the Scott you are talking about has a last name that starts with a B and a wife named Martha then I do know him even though I haven't seen him in awhile.
Last name does start with B actually, but wife is not Martha. So close!! LOL

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

GeddyWrox wrote:
tlombard wrote:
GeddyWrox wrote:
Last name does start with B actually, but wife is not Martha. So close!! LOL
That's crazy. Such a small world although not quite as small this time.

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:So I've been doing some reading about the deadline and some radio interviews and will try to summarize as best I can.

-The Blues and Senators were very close on a deal for Mike Hoffman, and there's still some thought this deal will get done at the draft. (It technically still could get done today, but any traded players won't be eligible for the postseason, a fact that gets less relevant for the Blues every day.) The sticking point sounds like it might be the Sens wanted to unload Bobby Ryan too. They were willing to retain 50% salary, but wanted one of Thomas/Kyrou/Kostin/Thompson, and Armstrong wouldn't budge. Theres also a thought that Armstrong would be on board with a Hoffman/Ryan package, but he'd need to dump Bouwmeester and Sobotka.

-They also had some traction on a JBo deal. Both Tampa and Florida had interest. Thoughts that he may get traded to Florida for the final year of his deal which will also be his final year in the NHL.

-There was also some traction on a Sobotka deal with Columbus with Boone Jenner the reported return.

-Berglund and Steen were lightly shopped but talks never went anywhere.

(My quick note: I get holding on to the top prospects, but I would've moved Thompson for Hoffman. I think there's a clear divide between the other three and him.
Hopefully some of these deals get done at the draft. I can easily see Jaybo being moved if the cap goes up. Someone will value a "vet presence" for only a year. If we could have gotten Jenner for Boat... do that. If Jenner isn't a fit, let him walk as a FA in the Summer.

Am I missing something about Mike Hoffman? He seems like a solid player (25+g/year) on a solid contract (Just under $5.2m), he's 28 and is under contract for two seasons after this one. Why is/was he being shopped?

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Bouwmeester out for the season, Upshall to be re-evaluated in four weeks.

JBo should be bought out. You save $3.6 million in cap space this season in exchange for $1.8 million against the cap next season. That seems obvious.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

Isn't the season over in 4 weeks?

By the way, I take no joy in the fact that the Blues delivered on my expectations.

:-x