2017-2018 Blues (Hockey) Season

A forum for non-baseball sports
MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Re: 2017-2018 Blues (Hockey) Season

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Taylor Hall is on a 26-game point streak. Only 30% of players this season have 26 points or more on the season.

Still stings that we almost had him but Shatty wouldn't take the deal to Edmonton. And then he got flipped to Jersey for a meh defenseman with term.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

The Ducks let all the [expletive] players score.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

Welp, our ECHL team is folding after the season. I've had full season tickets since the 2007-08 season, and I started going to games back in 2000. It sucks but it is not a surprise. There have been so many seasons where there were rumors they were going to fold. I was sick of going through that almost every season.

Back in the 90s there were around 150 teams at this level (double-A, 1 step below the AHL). Now there are like 27 teams left. Somewhere around 120 teams have folded. Someone said that only 5 teams in the ECHL made a profit last year. So it's not just us. The main reason the AHL is able to stay in decent shape is because so many NHL teams own their AHL team now. The NHL team takes a loss on it and chalks it up to player development. But they don't do that below that level, sadly.

The arena may try to get an SPHL team (single A). I don't know if that will happen. That does not excite me a whole lot. It's not that bad of a league honestly but I'd prefer to have a USHL team. It's the top juniors league in the US. We'd see a lot more future NHL players in the USHL than the SPHL. And there are 6 teams within about a 2.5 hour drive of here. It makes a lot of sense. Which is probably why it won't happen.

Hoot45
Perennial All-Star

Post by Hoot45 »

Nice little win streak against the Kings and Ducks. Important game against Colorado tonight. Trying to hunt them down in the Wild Card, can't leave any points on the table for them.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

Thursday night I figured it was season over after losing to Colorado but then they come out with two OT wins and are only 1 point out with 10 games left. Ugh. I don't think they will make the playoffs but they do have a shot. It is going to be a stressful end to the season unless they just go ahead and lose their next couple to get it over with.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

i'm not paying attention any more/haven't watched for a few weeks...they aren't going anywhere if they do make the playoffs.

but i do hope they at least make the playoffs, for tom stillman's sake. think they said they need to reach the first round each year just to break even/turn a profit or something ridiculous like that, i think i read?

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

Well, three come from behind wins in OT in the last three games. Just when I give up on them, they suck me right back in.

cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardinalkarp »

tlombard wrote:Well, three come from behind wins in OT in the last three games. Just when I give up on them, they suck me right back in.
Be prepared to have your soul crushed.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

lol

unless the reach the stanley cup finals, i'm not wasting my time on another game this year

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

Sigh. As soon as I think they're out, they pull me back in. Currently in the last wildcard spot. I don't get this team.