2017-2018 Blues (Hockey) Season

A forum for non-baseball sports
JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Re: 2017-2018 Blues (Hockey) Season

Post by JCShutout »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:And yeah, even if the trade was Eddy, Walman/Dunn/Schmaltz and a 1st for Drouin, I'd do it.
Yeah, this. Sure, we have a lot of LW, but we have a severe need for top scoring players. If we got a difference-maker LW, I would sell any of our LW (not named Schwartz or Fabbri-who can play center) for a late round pick to make room. If we got a difference-maker RW, I'd sell any RW not named Tarasenko. If we got a difference-maker center, I'd sell any of our centers.

Are you really saying you wouldn't take Drouin over Perron, Steen, Paajarvi, Jaskin, Upshall or anyone else who has played LW?

I really like Edmundson, but the only D I wouldn't trade for Drouin are Parayko and Petro. We have enough young, talented dmen to replace Eddy.

albertmvpujols
All-Star

Post by albertmvpujols »

JCShutout wrote:Yeah, this. Sure, we have a lot of LW, but we have a severe need for top scoring players. If we got a difference-maker LW, I would sell any of our LW (not named Schwartz or Fabbri-who can play center) for a late round pick to make room. If we got a difference-maker RW, I'd sell any RW not named Tarasenko. If we got a difference-maker center, I'd sell any of our centers.
It's not as easy as just "selling a player" on a whim with so many teams near the cap. Drouin just signed a multiyear deal at a $5.5 mil cap hit. The only LW we could trade that would cover that would be Schwartz and Steen. Swapping out Schwartz and Drouin is pretty neutral on the cap and on the ice. Even if you could get Steen to waive his NTC I'm not sure there would be a lot of teams lining up to acquire an injury prone Steen in his age 33-36 seasons at a near $6 mil cap hit. The Blues are thin at RW and even thinner at C so it would make more sense and be easier to upgrade there. I also don't think Drouin, Fabbri, Steen, or Schwartz are adequate centers though all have played there at the NHL level.
JCShutout wrote:Are you really saying you wouldn't take Drouin over Perron, Steen, Paajarvi, Jaskin, Upshall or anyone else who has played LW?
I'm assuming this is directed at me, but there is no point in this thread where I have come close to expressing this opinion. I would take Drouin easily over all of those players (and Fabbri as well). But that isn't how this works. I can't just take him for nothing and remove some player with a high cap in order to pay him.
JCShutout wrote:I really like Edmundson, but the only D I wouldn't trade for Drouin are Parayko and Petro. We have enough young, talented dmen to replace Eddy.
There is a major gap between the value of Parayko and Edmundson. Parayko is overpayment for Drouin and I doubt Yzerman would take Edmundson as the centerpiece of a deal for Drouin.

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

You could throw Vegas a pick to take Lehtera and you are, for the most part, money neutral. You could also put someone on waivers and in the minors, or even buy them out. There are some teams who need contracts to get to the floor, and will stockpile picks to do so. Not something to do all the time, but maybe Army shouldn't have signed 34 3rd liners for just a little more than they're worth.

I'm not saying Eddy would be the centerpiece, a d prospect, him and a 1st might have been closer than one thinks. Maybe it wouldn't. I just hope the Blues were trying.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Shattenkirk for Drouin was going to be enough if Shatty signed an extension. I just can't believe there wasn't some wiggle room. We know the teams had been talking.

Also still hard to believe we went from Drouin or Taylor Hall to Sanford and a late 1st.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

List isn't shocking. Stinks to have to wait until the 21st to know everything, but I can understand wanting to control the madness from a media standpoint, get ratings and ad revenue for the awards ceremony.

A couple folks on LGB mentioned the "word on the street" was that Vegas had already acquired 3 additional 1st round picks. (or maybe 2 additional to bring their total to 3). I have no real source for this, so take it with a mountain of salt.

I honestly wonder if the Blues sent a pick to Vegas to ensure they would take Lehtera or Gunnarson, just to have cap room for Parayko's contract. Lots of money comes off the books after this year ($10.75m for Stastny and Perron alone) and next year ($13m from Lehtera, Gunnarson and Bouwmeester). If they can just fit Colton in this year, you might be able to make a push to trade for a good young player about to make $ or sign a good FA in the next offseason or two.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

I've heard that too. I've also read the Ducks, Blue Jackets and Islanders most frequently mentioned as teams with deals in place with VGK.

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

A lot of mock drafts have Vegas taking Perron, either to play, or as trade bait after his pretty good year.

Assuming Parayko takes a bridge deal, Perron's salary being moved might be enough to fit Parayko under the cap.

albertmvpujols
All-Star

Post by albertmvpujols »

JCShutout wrote:A lot of mock drafts have Vegas taking Perron, either to play, or as trade bait after his pretty good year.

Assuming Parayko takes a bridge deal, Perron's salary being moved might be enough to fit Parayko under the cap.
The cap bumped up 2 mil to $75 mil next year. I think they have enough to bridge Parayko even without Perron being taken now, but it would be tight.

albertmvpujols
All-Star

Post by albertmvpujols »

This may be the worst excuse I've ever seen to put a guy on LTIR to avoid a cap hit: 30 Thoughts: Marian Hossa might have played his final NHL game
According to several sources, there is a legitimate possibility Hossa has played his final NHL game. (He could not be reached for comment. Neither could his agent, Ritch Winter. The Blackhawks declined to comment.) Apparently, he suffers from a serious allergic reaction to the equipment he wears.

The sources who confirmed the allergy stressed not to make fun of it, with one saying, “It’s only funny to anyone who’s never had it.” Details are sketchy, because no one would give full information, but the medication necessary to combat the allergy is potent enough that doctors wanted his blood tested every few weeks to make sure there were no major side effects.
Hossa was definitely worth his cap hit last year, but this year his actual salary drops to $1mil per year due to a front loaded, cap circumventing deal the Hawks signed him to years ago. If Hossa retires early the Blackhawks would still have his cap recapture penalty of $4.275 million count against the cap until the end of his contract unless they can come up with some [expletive] injury angle to put him on LTIR (long term injury reserve). My guess is Hossa doesn't really want to play for only a million dollars and the Hawks are trying to get out of this... and of course they will because they are the Hawks.