College hoops and the feds

A forum for non-baseball sports
lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Re: College hoops and the feds

Post by lukethedrifter »

Daughter’s classmate is a Louisville b-ball recruit. Oops.

themiddle54
Perennial All-Star

Post by themiddle54 »

Sigh, I heard some rumblings that Sherman Alexie was lining his pockets by sending you kid poets out of his camp so you could steer them to Little Brown for big bucks.

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

lukethedrifter wrote:Daughter’s classmate is a Louisville b-ball recruit. Oops.
What kind of car does the classmate drive now?

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

sighyoung wrote:
lukethedrifter wrote:Daughter’s classmate is a Louisville b-ball recruit. Oops.
What kind of car does the classmate drive now?

Don’t think his Dad lets him drive. Super controlling apparently. Curiously, he runs an AAU program which puts him in touch with that whole crowd anyway.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

sighyoung wrote:Don't worry, Louisville hasn't fired me yet. Hold on. There's a knock on the door. Let me
You've been making sure the players in your class complete their coloring sheets, right? You know, or at least your graduate assistant is finishing them for the players?

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

5* basketball stud Reggie Perry commits to Arkansas and calls Arkansas “my Kentucky or duke” and plays AAU with an Arkansas team and other Hog commits

Reggie Perry goes on an overseas Adidas sponsored basketball tournament, along with espn’s Seth Greenberg

Perry returns and begins receiving tweets from Greenberg saying “follow your heart”

Perry decommits and commits to Miss State

Miss State is an Adidas school

Miss State’s other commit? A highly rated 4* who named Bama (a Nike school along with Arkansas) as his leader. Not soon after that announcement he commits to Miss State

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

themiddle54 wrote:Sigh, I heard some rumblings that Sherman Alexie was lining his pockets by sending you kid poets out of his camp so you could steer them to Little Brown for big bucks.
It's purely a coincidence that I wound up putting Alexie on my American Literature syllabi and recommending him to scholars around the world.

And Little Brown getting such wonderful manuscripts is the biggest stroke of publishing luck in the last 40 years.

cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardinalkarp »

sighyoung wrote:
themiddle54 wrote:Sigh, I heard some rumblings that Sherman Alexie was lining his pockets by sending you kid poets out of his camp so you could steer them to Little Brown for big bucks.
It's purely a coincidence that I wound up putting Alexie on my American Literature syllabi and recommending him to scholars around the world.

And Little Brown getting such wonderful manuscripts is the biggest stroke of publishing luck in the last 40 years.

I see what you two are up to.

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

BottenFieldofDreams wrote:
sighyoung wrote:Don't worry, Louisville hasn't fired me yet. Hold on. There's a knock on the door. Let me
You've been making sure the players in your class complete their coloring sheets, right? You know, or at least your graduate assistant is finishing them for the players?
The interesting thing is Pitino actually checked on his players and made sure they went to class. I wish regular students got the kind of follow-up and attention that athletes get.

I have a friend in the Philosophy department who taught summer school, but stopped after he found out that athletes take a lot of summer courses to catch up on credit hours. He taught several basketball players, including one who blew off most of the class. My friend contacted the Athletics department, and Pitino showed up to class and emphasized, in no uncertain terms, that athletes were expected to be in class. He also sent staff around regularly to make sure his athletes were attending classes. The one delinquent player was kicked out a few months later.

Additionally, follow up on athlete performance and attendance is computerized. I just filled out an attendance and grade form for one yesterday.

Charlie Strong made sure his football players were in class, too, but Bobby Petrino couldn't care less. Nevertheless, the graduation rates have stayed steady. I don't know what the players are taking, though.

I will say that for most of the other sports, the students are true student-athletes, and often among the best in their classes. But I've never taught a male or female basketball player in 24 years at Louisville. They're herded elsewhere. And only two football students--both of whom were Honors students, and neither of whom ever started.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

If it wasn't clear, that does come as a surprise to me. Especially that Pitino would come around himself.